Values in a painting of Lake Como

IMG_5434by cheri sabraw

I haven’t been to Lake Como but my grandson Noah traveled there this  summer and took a lovely photo reference for his grandmother to try to paint.

This is the second version. As you can tell, I am no architect and any buildings I paint seem to have a wiggly quality to them.

I like this painting very much.

Although it is only 9×12, the world it portrays is mural size.

Walking down that shaded cobblestone pathway toward a beach with that view of the lake and boaters puts me in Italy now.

It is the late afternoon. The wind has come up. Sailboats leave their moorings. Motorboats retreat to their berths. If you turn right, in front of the watermelon-colored building, there will be outdoor chairs and small tables with young lovers sipping wine. Old marrieds are having espressos in the hopes that they will get a second wind for the late dinners that Italians love to serve.

The last vestiges of the sun warm the upstairs windows on the right.

The trees and bushes along the pathway are healthy and fresh. If you look carefully you will see rosemary in a box by the restaurant. The aroma of sauteed garlic comes from the restaurant in the butternut squash-colored building by the beach.

I choose to have wine instead of espresso.

Writer, photograph, artist, mother, grandmother and wife.
This entry was posted in Life, My painting, Places and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Values in a painting of Lake Como

1. 4brig says:

Enjoying your painting and especially the story…

I find creating a story that I can walk into quite therapeutic. I’ve been doing this type of magical realism all my life. When I am down about things going on in the world, I often daydream about a different time or place. Thanks, Brig.

• manofroma says:

Hello Cheri, I’ve found your painting and story very imaginative (& adorable).

This sentence of yours I find creating a story that I can walk into quite therapeutic. I’ve been doing this type of magical realism all my life kept me wondering: were you told stories when you were little? If yes, by whom?
        Don’t know if mine is a magical realism but I like to tell stories as well since my dad always told us stories when we were kids, stories about exotic places (India or sub-Saharan) and those tales usually ended up with me bringing back home handsome princes who married my sisters (2) and female cousins (10! I was the only male, apart from dad).

All the best from Rome

My father was a terrific story teller but he was the only one. My grandparents did not tell me many stories. For me, storytelling is organic. I love to read stories, listen to great storytellers, and tell stories to whomever will listen.

And what a place YOU held in an Italian family being the only male. Were you spoiled? I imagine your wife has had to spoil you to keep you happy.

• manofroma says:

So our dads did the thing, it seems. Well no, I was not spoiled since my father much preferred my eldest sister and he was the charismatic personality in our family. I any case he gave us a lot, since he had a vast knowledge, he understood nothing about music 🎶 (that was my mum) but he loved storytelling, poetry and history.

• manofroma says:

‘Terrific’ sounds pleasant to my ears, since in Italian it means: bringing terror at the utmost degree. Lol

2. Paul S says:

Bellissimo!
    I’ve been lucky enough to visit Lake Como a few times and your painting and wonderful prose brought back some nice memories. You really have captured the essence of the place,

Hello Paul, thank you for such a lovely lovely comment. For an old English teacher like me, to have someone notice my prose (and even use that word) is as good as a stroll down to the beach at Lake Como. I’m not sure if I will make another trip to Italy in my lifetime, so this little painting may have to do. Grazia.

3. Lue Perrine says:

Cheri you have taken all of us on a journey to beautiful Lake Como in your painting! Thank you for sharing! I absolutely love your stylistic approach to your wiggley buildings and your spectacular color selection of the gorgeous scene can’t be any truer! It’s really romance at it’s best! 🧡
    My favorite yet! 🥰

Thank you, Lue. I appreciate your love and encouragement, which keeps me motivated. And yes, Lake Como looks very romantic. I could use a trip there!

Long, long before I knew there was a Lake Como, I adored Perry Como. Looking at your painting, this song came to mind; I’d say they complement one another beautifully. I’d add that it seems a good song for both the wine and espresso drinkers, too.

6. manofroma says:

“That branch of the Lake of Como, which turns toward the south between
    two unbroken chains of mountains, presenting to the eye a succession of
    bays and gulfs, formed by their jutting and retiring ridges, suddenly
    contracts itself between a headland to the right and an extended sloping
    bank on the left, and assumes the flow and appearance of a river.

Beginning of The Betrothed (by Alessandro Manzoni, 1834 English translation, available at Gutenberg)