Oh give me a home, where the buffalo roam…

IMG_1523

“Montana Conference Call” 20×20 oil on Belgian linen 2019 by cheri sabraw

by cheri sabraw

These two girls above are back in Browning, Montana, with their calves born this past spring.

Bison, be they Wood Bison or Plains Bison, look different from individual to individual, just like humans. I find them appealing, not only because of their symbolism of a time in our land when they ran free, shepherded by various Indian tribes who, while using them for meat, respected what they stood for, but because they are symbols of an earlier America, albeit imperfect, but at least full of can-do people.

What did they stand for?

Certainly not Colin Pumpernickel, who needs to fight in a war (other than with his own ego) in order to bring him back down to earth.  And let’s add Nike, Inc. and Mr. Phil Knight to that list. Why even the Black Caucus of Ministers  asked Nike to get rid of Pumpernickel.

Certainly not the edgy four freshmen women in our House of Representatives. They need to go to Israel where women spend several years in the military, defending a country existing a bad neighborhood. Did I say Israel? Silly me.

Certainly not golfer  Brooks Koepka and his  girlfriend, who wore a see-through bodice so that her fleshy fake weaponry was on parade at an ESPN function.Would Jack Nicholas and Arnold Palmers’ wives have done this? I don’t think so, as they lived in an era where modesty was an attribute and let’s face it: they felt good about themselves.

Certainly not mopey Tiger Woods? (Sniff sniff)  Does he really stand for something that we in this country can be proud of other than “…he endured four-ten back surgeries, was married to a lovely woman, had two nice kids, and a gizillion dollars…” Really Tiger? You need to change your name to Theodore Woods, read about Teddy Roosevelt, and then come back to play golf again without the drama.

The big bison this weekend was Ireland’s Shane Lowry, a joyful golfer (those are hard to come by) who carried his country’s hopes and dreams on his shoulders all the way to the final hole in the British Open. He smiled. He let it all out. He seems to enjoy food and drink and doesn’t look like some of the American male golfers who walk about the golf course like robots on steroids and by the way, their interviews seem the same.

Shane Lowry–just a regular guy (see my previous post). His wife–just a regular gorgeous mom with a raincoat on,  not a garish sequined see-through umbrella over mini-shorts and a torn tee-shirt revealing a beaver tattoo, sitting between two enormous rocks.

Yep.

Oh give me a home,

Where the buffalo roam,

Where the deer and the antelope play,

Where seldom is heard, a discouraging word,

And the sky is not cloudy all day.

This entry was posted in golf, Life, My painting, People, Politics and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Oh give me a home, where the buffalo roam…

1. 4brig says:

You have covered most of what is wrong with the America of today, especially in sports. I would only add term limits.
    Have always loved that song… the kids and I would sing it and America the Beautiful as we rode out of a morning on the home ranch.

Yes. Term limits. What a novel idea.

I had no idea who Colin Pumpernickel was. Now, I think I know, but I can’t for the life of me figure out how that name came to be — and honestly, I don’t really care. However, your wonderful bison (what a great title!) and your mention of the song have triggered me. No, not that kind of triggering. You triggered a memory of one of my first song parodies. It still makes me laugh when I remember it, and it may give you a grin, too:

Oh give me a home where the buffalo roam,
    and I’ll show you a house filled with dirt;
    where never is seen a good cleaning machine,
    and the housekeeper’s feelings are hurt.

Bones, bones on the range,
    where the bugs and the dust bunnies play;
    the mice came along, first they burst into song,
    then they carted the carcass away.

Hi Linda,
      I enjoyed the rendition you sent of Home on the Range and am surprised I have not heard it before based on the elementary and junior high crowds I ran with. As it turns out, I am not happy with this painting as my photo reference predicted problems. The cow in the background looks odd because her muzzle is not visible. It looked this way in the photo but I went ahead with the painting (and all the effort and expensive product) anyway. I can’t seem to fix her so this painting will join one of the 10 I have discarded this past month.

As for Colin Pumpernickel, I was referring to Colin Kaepernick, former quarterback with the SF 49ers.

Anyway, sorry for the rant in the blog but I did feel instantly better after writing it.

4. Lue Perrine says:

👍😲🎶
    me too!

5. Dan OBrien says:

There is hope for the Bay Area yet……

In re Messrs Lowry and Clarke: never bet against an Irishman in the rain.

True enough, wk. I so enjoyed the finish of the British Open and since I am in the middle of Uris’s novel Trinity, it meant even more to me. I am sorry for my rant on my blog but Woods, Koepka, and the lot really detract from watching the tournaments. I’m so hoping that Jordan Spieth, Rickie Fowler and the like will win tourneys. The big behemoths, who talk like Philistines, drive me crazy. You see? I still have not let this go.

• wkkortas says:

I especially root for Fowler, as he seems like a really good, down-to-earth guy, which makes him something of a minority among his Tour brethren.

I agree. Both the Judge and I always root for Rickie. We like Justin Thomas and poor struggling Jordan Speith. I also like Tony Finau and Francesco Mollinari.

I especially root for Fowler, as he seems like a genuinely nice, down-to-earth guy, which makes him a bit of a minority among his Tour brethren.

9. Chris says: