Open to Beauty

by cheri sabraw

Decorum was the Rule of Order during the US Open, hosted by the iconic and storied Pebble Beach Golf Course.

Unlike the drunken party that is the Phoenix Open, now called the Waste Management Phoenix Open (a perfect sponsor for the desert party that it is), Pebble Beach is like that innocent lass whose skin is milky and whose hue is rose.

At Pebble Beach, crowds are quiet; the ocean is still; the vistas are breathtaking; the turf is exceeded only by the opulence and old money that circulate like subtle breezes off the coastline.

I must admit that even though I had sprained my ankle the night before, tangling myself in my new vacuum hose and missing a step, I knew that nothing would keep me from the atmospheric fog of Pebble Beach.

We saw the usual crowd magnets but somehow the views and stateliness of old Pebble Beach dwarfed whatever expectation I had about seeing Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, or Brooks Koepka. (yawn). Only Rory McIlroy and Rickie Fowler–two fine representatives of their generation and of men who seem about something more than themselves, were of interest to me.

I’m over Tiger Woods. Actually, I never was in to him anyway as I was with George Harrison, Franco Nero, and other men whom I have admired along the way of life.

The real draw at Pebble Beach is a sensual, arresting, imaginative look at Cypress trees, small perfect beaches, and the luscious quiet, even around the greens. That sliver of turquoise water rolling into a white sand beach!

Writer, photograph, artist, mother, grandmother and wife.
This entry was posted in golf, My photography, Places and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Open to Beauty

1. Chris says:

Cheri So sorry to hear about your ankle. Paul was at the open on Friday. As usual your writing makes me feel like I am looking through your eyes. Let’s do lunch. Chris

Hi Chris,
      I am so glad my writing is achieving my goal.
      Would have loved to have run into Paul.
      And yes, let’s get together mid July.

2. 4brig says:

Thank you for the trip down memory lane. I have only been there once, a long time ago, but it was magical.

Hi Brig,
      Yes. Magical is a perfect to describe Pebble Beach. It was a unique experience for me and I must admit, I thoroughly enjoyed it. My best to you.

3. Lue Perrine says:

Oh what a gorgeous beach! 😃
    I hope your ankle is o.k. now Cheri.
    Gees, I’ve done that before and it’s not
    fun. 😟 I hope you had a wonderful
    time despite the discomfort! 😉

Hi Lue,
    My ankle is completely recovered, just in time for our outing on Friday. I have an idea. Why don’t you take up painting. You would be the perfect friend to go out in nature with and try to paint. Notice I said “try.” Love you.

There may not be a lovelier place to litter the beach with mis-hit Titleists.