Finding meaning

by cheri sabraw

P1120037

photo by c. sabraw 2019

My sister and I are avowed bird and bunny watchers.

Instead of hashing over how miserable we are about the socialism creep (verb or noun depending on your perspective) or about Theresa May’s crippling act of personal wilfulness and abject defiance for the voters of the U.K., we employ a diversionary tactic–staring at the desert, clucking to thrashers and quail and throwing Shredded Wheat squares to lure them up on the patio.

First, a disclaimer: if any of the Gestapo that run this over-55 retirement community are reading my blog (instead of finding something to complain about), we do not feed doves or pigeons, bunnies or coyotes. So there!

I do, occasionally, feed the golfers by offering a beer to  those whose golf balls venture too close for comfort, but only if they do not swear. My act of Hoppian charity is rewarded with big toothy smiles.

In studying the birds that frequent my patio, my sister and I are most moved by the Gila woodpeckers, who in turn, are moved by hummingbird feeders full of sugar-water.

P1120031

photo by c. sabraw 2019

P1120033

photo by c. sabraw 2019

Then the late afternoon breezes,  made more melodic by the sound of palm fronds swishing and swaying, begin to subside.P1120028

The bunny trio emerges from under the desert shrubs to nibble on the soft grasses of the fairway.

P1120035

The metal friends continue their social engagement oblivious to the world’s problems.

They do fear the coming heat of the summer when their metal is tested.

This entry was posted in My photography, Nature photography, Politics and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Finding meaning

Given my sad game and a seemingly intractable slice, you would gifting me enormous quantities of beer. Not that I would complain, mind you.

Come on by the 8th hole, wk. Tell me the type of beer you would like me to have on hand. Just yell out ” Hey, Cheri! It’s Edgar Lee!” and I’ll deliver a Stella to your bag.

That’s quite some wordplay you pulled off in that last sentence. The bunnies are cute, but the photo of the fun-house mirror woodpecker is great. Are those big, round bushes in the last photo cenizo (sage)?

I do not know if they are sage. I asked my sister, who is visiting. She ran out and pruned several leaves and then smelled/tasted. Perhaps herbal sage is different?

3. ShimonZ says:

An enjoyable read. Thanks

4. 4brig says:

Such fun to read.
    I have a lousy golf game, but never have to worry about someone walking off with my left handed clubs.

Ah. You are a left-handed! That explains your creativity. That’s what I found after teaching so many years. There was something a little different about my southpaws.

Then the late afternoon breezes, made more melodic by the sound of palm fronds swishing and swaying, begin to subside.

…..very therapeutic In this time of turmoil for my country.

Gila woodpeckers must feel the same when they find a column of coloured water in the desert, only to discover they can’t get at it.

Good One, Sir Richard. I might add that the Gila woodpeckers are extremely noisy and persistent. They have dominated the feeder, forcing the hummingbirds to vacate.

7. Chris says:

Always entertaining, such a word smithy.

8. Lue Perrine says:

I love them too! Awesome!
    🐰🦜’s!