Landscapes that tug at my heart

by cheri sabraw

image1

My brother Steve took this luscious photograph while in Montana last summer when he and his son Tyler fished the Madison River.

Wouldn’t this scene make for a splendid landscape painting? The lone tree presiding over an obedient river tamed by orderly fencing and blushing grasses appeals to many sides of my personality.

And what about this scene?

IMG_0481

This melody in pastel blues and mustardy yellows was taken by my sister-in-law, Lue when she and her family visited the Carrizo Plain, a large grassland in San Luis Obispo County, California.

What appeals to me about Lue’s photograph is the presence of two explorers who seem to be walking on a salty sandy earth.

And then there is a photograph I took several years ago in Buonconvento, Tuscany.

P1000212One might be inclined to enhance this photo but what I love about it are the muted blue-greens and the small house in the background.

I’d like to be sitting on that bench, peeking through the cypress trees.

Landscapes provide many avenues of thought.

Romantic escape.

Aspirational destinations.

The past.

I am still pulled by and drawn to scenes of the west.

IMG_2016

I took this photo in Yellowstone National Park. The two bison are heading my way. I am absolutely enthralled.

IMG_2143

Ron’s photograph of an old abandoned shack off Highway 50 in southern Utah looks almost too perfect to be true. I’d like to host a small party in that  shack, bring our Weber and some steaks (although that might upset the cattle peering on), crack open some wine and wait for the Sons of the Pioneers to show up and seranade us with Red River Valley.

IMG_2202

I took this nostalgic photo in Scipio, Utah. The greens caught my eye and of course, the well-preserved gas pump and barn door. I’m attracted to the way men might have dressed during the years when this pump was in use. I say men because I don’t think women would have been pumping their own gas.

IMG_5955

If you have followed this blog for more than five years, then you know Ron and I have made two trips to the site of the Battle of the Little Big Horn in eastern Montana.

I love this photo, not only for the wispy dry twigs and yellow mustard that shelter the graves from the judgemental stares of most who view them, but also because there in the middle is the spot where Custer himself got his just desserts.

If you have thoughts or photos of a landscape that tugs at your heart, send them to me and I will post them.

This entry was posted in My painting, My photography and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Landscapes that tug at my heart

What an intriguing collection. The photos that resonate most for me are the second, showing the grasslands, and the abandoned shack. One of my favorite signs in Kansas always was the one that said, “Open Range.” There’s something about a horizon that makes me happy. Clearly, it’s what unites my love of the ocean and love of the prairie.

2. Carol McCann says:

What great pictures. I especially like the first two as they would make great subjects for paintings.. I do love old buildings though. They remind me of my childhood in Northern California. Perhaps Dinah can help you with the painting. I am certain that she could do a great job. The paws that refreshes!!!

Thanks for your encouragement, Carol. Are you willing to start painting again? Dinah likes to help with everything. She especially enjoys helping with any meal preparation and offers to “vacuum” any crumbs that may fall from the counter.
      As you might guess, her favorite holiday is Thanksgiving.

3. Steve says:

Thanks Cheri. Wonderful pics with poignant descriptions, and yet simple observations of the diverse beauty around us. ( except maybe for Gen. Custer. ) (Or should it be Custard among the mustard) I’ll stop now.

4. Lue Perrine says:

A little piece of Heaven. Just gorgeous. Thank you for sharing the serenity of it all!

5. Glenys says:

All these scenes are unfamiliar to my eye and unlike anything in the UK, how lucky you are to have all this around you. I recall visiting the italian area. I will see if I can find some memorable scenes to send you.
    I might try painting your top picture and hope it is not too hard for me.

Go for it, Glenys. I know Steve will be flattered that you are attempting a painting from his photography. All the more motivation to visit Montana!

6. bogard says:

Hey Cheri,

Beautiful photos. Especially like your Scipio shot and Lue’s shot from the Carrizo Plain, but they are all inspiring. It’s all around us if we just take a moment to observe. All beg for plein air work. I will take you up on the landscape photo request soon.

Bill

Thank you, Bill. I will be posting your photo soon. Thank you for sending such a stunning shot. Cheri

8. I love this post Cheri. It is interesting to me that nearly all of the lovely photographs encompass large empty spaces, very much where my interest lies. The lonely tree in Steve’s photo intrigues, yet I can’t stop wondering what the cypress trees are thinking looking down on that magical green vista in Tuscany. Wonderful.