The Pope

by cheri sabraw

If only the Pope

In his message of hope

Had suggested a simple solution.

Instead of his hedge

On the Vatican  ledge

Where he prayed for a two-state resolution,

His words should have urged

The Arab world to converge

and acknowledge Israel’s

Right to Exist.

Only then can the process go forward

(Your Holiness)

19 Responses to The Pope

1. Carol McCann says:

Cheri,
    You are certainly correct. I want to wish you and your family peace and happiness, especially at this time of the year!!!

Thank you, Carol. We wish you and your husband L and all your friends a healthy and prosperous 2018. Let’s hope that the Arab Street will stop its cul d sac mentality. What do you think would happen if they all decided to formally recognize Israel as a legitimate country that has turned a desert into a thriving oasis in only 75 years?

2. Brig says:

Cheri,
    All one has to do is look at the Nativity at the Vatican to see how far off the Pope is. It is a sad state of affairs, indeed.

Hi Brig, I had not seen nor heard of the Vatican’s Nativity scene until you posted this comment. I guess they have added more individuals to the original group of Mary, Joseph, Baby Jesus and the Three Wise Men.

It is really astonishing that, given the history of his church, the Pope should be so ill-informed about the realities and utter his views in a Christmas message. There must have been a clerical error when his notes were typed for him. Somebody seems to have spelt “nativity”naïvety and he didn’t have the presence of mind to notice. Or perhaps he had had an overdose of transubstantiation. Maybe he confused protestantism and antidisestablishmentarianism. We have to be generous in our thoughts at this time.

Even if the extinction of Israel is off the (to use a polite word) protagonists’ agenda, which it isn’t, that still is not enough. Israel is the only party capable of maintaining the multi-faith sensibilities of Jerusalem, if only he knew. And to think as Pope he influences billions of believers in his archaic superstitions. I speak as a Christian.

• Christopher says:

“……..It is really astonishing that…….the Pope should be so ill-informed about the realities………”

Based on the totality of your comment, and on what the Pope said in his Christmas message, he appears less ill-informed – and saner – on this issue than you seem to be.

“…..I speak as a Christian…..”

If indeed you do, this doesn’t say much for Christians.

I wish I had penned your first paragraph. It is funny and clever; I impressed that a man in pain can still reach down deep to come up with such with. A “clerical” error!! I am very disappointed, but not surprised, by this Pope’s stance. What surprised me was his placing in his Christmas message subject the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, which, until the Arabs recognize Israel’s right to exist as a country, will continue to be foot-note.

• Richard says:

You are aways so kind, Cheri. The pain is much improved and thank you for the rub you recommended. Glenys has ordered it and it should arrive soon.

The continued existence of Israel in perpetuity seems to me to be a fundamental precondition to any discussion and the recognition of Jerusalem is a refreshing scene-changer. This does not prevent criticism of the Israeli government’s specific policies or to prohibit anyone from seeking, within normal legal constraints, to change them. It is, after all, a modern democracy.

Likewise, you may or may not favour Donald Trump, but he is the democratically elected leader of the free world and is entitled to be accorded due acceptance as such with all the legal consequences that flow. No purpose is served by irrelevant personal attacks on him or those who voted for him. They are a futile attack on democracy itself and one questions the motives of those who choose such tactics over rational debate.

I regret the lapse in my observations concerning the Pope and his flock, the unjustified essence of which was the catalyst for Christopher’s criticism of me.

It seemed to me you were accurate. This Pope is very much a political pope. Sure, they all are but Pope Francis has meddled in a number of world affairs that, I believe, he should stay out of. The hypocrisy of his meddling in Israel’s affairs overflows, especially in light of Catholic Church’s historical brutality and non-support of Jews. I find it all quite offensive.

I found no lapse in your reaction to my poem, which dealt with a single issue.

4. Dan OBrien says:

Brilliant as usual. Merry Christmas

5. potsoc says:

Here, I must agree with you on the need to recognize Israel as a prerequisite to any viable solution to this inextricable situation.

While I find the new Pope a refreshing change from his dour Teutonic predecessor, it is very difficult to embrace a two state solution when one party is decidedly coy at best about the other’s right to exist.

As always, my warmest to you and The Judge. May your 2018 be everything you wish it to be.

I don’t know what I must do
    Is it Bibi Netanyahu?
    Or should he be dumped
    Now he has been trumped
    By Twitter, net an’ yahoo?

So now it’s two thousan’ eighteen
    And I wish it never had been
    For when I last looked
    The diary was hooked
    On two thousan’ seventeen.

Let us say that it just never was
    You say why? I say becoz –
    I know all the errors I made
    At the table that you laid
    For peace at Humanity Bros.

This one is fun, Richard. But, as is my disposition when it comes to deciphering the meaning of others’ poetry, I would like to know the origin of these thoughts.

• Richard says:

This is a bit of fun and is indeed three nonsense limericks but is also an attempt to debunk the Pope’s certainties. Read it as how we might hope he reflects on his pronouncements as he wakes up on New Year’s Day.

I suppose we all always ought to question our most firmly held opinons. In so doing we pursue truth. Unless debate seeks to persuade and be persuaded it serves no other purpose than to divert anger, which has no place in an ideal world.

Let not the sun go down upon thy wrath. Turn the other cheek. Judge not that ye be not judged. Three resolutions I consistently fail to honour.

End of sermon.