Light and beauty all in one

P1100321

by cheri sabraw

I’ve been drawing horses for the last several months in preparation for a class I hope to take in Arizona entitled “Drawing and Painting Horses in the Light” so you will understand why I stopped at the bottom of our road to photograph some new additions to Mel and Jim’s herd.

The Clydesdales now come to see me when I approach if they are grazing on our side of the hill. Privy to 80 eighty acres only 1/4 of a mile next to a major freeway, these gentle giants are lucky, indeed, to have the space.

I’m a sucker for paint horses so as I sped down the road, imagine my delight to see this sight on the hill.

P1100329

P1100297

His buddy, Black Beauty, was keeping him company.

P1100301

One of the Clydesdales, the mare, called to me in what seemed a jealousy flare.

P1100280

And then, another new chestnut girl came over the hill and right up to the fence line to check out whether I had an apple.

P1100311

Alas, the apples were gone so she opted for an oak instead. I love this photo. It would, however, be difficult for me to paint with all of those shadows.

P1100319

You can almost feel how soft that nose is, can’t you? I rubbed it and tickled her under her chin. That act, in itself, made my day.

I must remember to pack carrots on my way down the hill next week.

This entry was posted in clydesdale horses, Life, My photography and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Light and beauty all in one

1. How exciting to look forward to a new class in Arizona. I am eager to see what comes from the end of your brush.

Your series of portraits is exquisite.

I assume you will be giving instruction at the class and not receiving it. Or is Kayti to accompany you?

HA! Now Kayti could be the teacher. I have much to learn, especially about drawing and painting all things equine. Impressed that you wrote, ” The series….IS”

• Richard says:

Some people who isn’t too serious
        Do something rather mysterious
        They think that an ‘s makes words plural,
        An urban custom (not rural),
        And singularly write, “Serie is.”

If you draw and paint as beautifully as you photograph, it’s going to be something to see. That paint is gorgeous. They’re all beautiful. My experience with horses is almost nil, but I do admire them.

Well….? Thank you but I think I have a LONG way to go. And Happy Birthday to you!

• shoreacres says:

Well, thank you for the birthday greeting. I’m amazed that you remembered. As for having a long way to go… Wasn’t there a poem about that? I think I found a lost stanza.

“My little horse must think it drear
        to draw and draw one single ear,
        but I have images to make
        in this, the turning of the year.”

I remember most Libra birthdays, that’s for sure. Seem to remember that Brig was having a big birthday last year too. I love these rhymes. Must take me back to my very creative childhood where I was rewarded for art and rhyme.
          About my little horse Cricket who carried me throughout the highlands of Yosemite over granite rock and up long trail for 10 years.

O Cricket, O Cricket! Our fearful trip is done,
          My saddle has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won,
          The camp is near, the bells I hear, the cowboys somewhat spent,
          While follow eyes the steady gait, the ears pricked with intent,
          But O Steed Press On!
          O the sheafs of hay await!
          Where on the path my girl goes up
          Arrived, warm and in her steady gait.

4. Brig says:

There is just something about horses. I await your painted version.

Keep waiting…I’m working on a new bison head 24×36. Huge. Long process but I am bound and determined to paint a good one. Hope you are doing well.

• Brig says:

A bison head, interesting, but tougher than it looks at first glance, I would think.
      Heel up, it wouldn’t do if you have to bow out of the painting class.
      I am doing ok, would like to be closer to moving on, but that will come in it’s own time.

I sure hope that house sells so you can move on with your life. I imagine it is hard to patient but in such circumstances, what choices do you have? I wonder.

Bison are oddly constructed animals. Comedic, in some ways. They look like the Creator had had one too many. My painting of the bison in repose turned out very well, so well, I had it framed. The head of a bison can go many ways. I’d like to think this painting will turn out. I am such a slow painter though. And, not surprising, quite a perfectionist.

6. Carol McCann says:

Cheri, When did you start loving horses? I did not know that about you when we worked side -by-side. I have been reading your blog. You are amazing

Dearest Carol,
      I have thought of you so many times while writing the posts for this blog.
      All of the posts on American literature and teaching in general have your handprints all over them! Without your unselfish mentoring my first year at Mission in 1985 may have been a nightmare. Without you I would not have found Edgar Lee Masters.

And yes, I have been horse crazy all my life and still am.

Later, I will email you privately.
      I would love to see you again.