Quality of Life?

IMG_4246

Boise Airport on a weekday afternoon.

by cheri

For years now, I have returned to the first chapter of Dr. David R. Hawkins’ book, Letting Go. In that chapter, he provides a step-by-step process of how to surrender to all things that we cannot control, which is just about everything.

In the San Francisco Bay Area, those of us who grew up here have been asked to let go of and tolerate the tremendous change we see everywhere.

Seven million people now live here. The weather and technology are to blame. Is the weather changing? Some might argue yes but I think no.

Is techonology going away? Not unless Shallow Alto, Cupertino,  and San Francisco fall off in a massive tectonic shift. The population density will continue to grow.

We now live in a multi-cultural sardine can where those 7 million people, speaking 100 different languages, strain infrastructure to its breaking point.

In Fremont, where I live, our mayor tells us on Twitter that we are the new “funnel city” as a way to explain the complete gridlock that occurs between 2:00 pm and 7:30 pm every weekday. He, along with the city council, also seems to agree that every single undeveloped piece of land should have vertical expansion, zero lot lines, and multi-family inhabitance.

In Warm Springs, once a quiet district of Fremont,  Mandarin is now on the storefronts instead of English. What happened to the American Dream of coming to your new country and assimilating?

I’m trying to picture 50 American families moving to Dubrovnick and suggesting to the town fathers that we put English signs in the downtown of the old city.

In our post office, the old “hello’s and how are you’s” have been replaced by…well… I was going to write…by “nods” but most of the time, people do not even nod.

For those of us who are still friendly and still like people (moi), these circumstances are disappointing.

Some of us will surrender to the traffic, to the Whole Foods parking lot at noon, to the hundreds of people with cell phones trekking up to Mission Peak…

I am not sure I will.

Back to Dr. Hawkins’ book.

This entry was posted in Life, Places and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Quality of Life?

1. Would Dr. Hawkins guarantee a few words to help stop my anger at these changes?

Yes. He would. He has a whole chapter on Anger. He passed in 2012 but I have watched some of his talks on YouTube. He’s excellent. Has the credentials for credibility.

Your photo of the Boise airport made me smile. It reminded me of my response back many years ago when I flew into the Minneapolis-St.Paul airport for the first time. As I walked into the terminal my first thought was, “I’ve never been a place this clean.” And it was true. There’s not a hospital in the world that could rival that airport. My house certainly couldn’t.

As for the other issues you raise, creative non-participation can be a good thing. Because of the nature of my work, I have a short commute that I can adjust to suit me. I still carry my non-photo-taking flip phone, and I’ve never set foot in a Whole Foods store. I don’t worry about eating sugar from time to time, and I refuse to drink anything that’s green. I’m just glad I got to experience the Bay Area back in the days when it was more pleasant than it seems to be now.

4. Brig says:

On immigration:

Theodore Roosevelt’s ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

“In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person’s becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American … There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”
    On the bay area:
    The other evening an 85 year old lady sat across the table from me at an American Legion dinner. She was born & raised in San Francisco, and said she never wants to go back, it is not the wonderful place it was. I agree, friends & I used to go to the city to get school uniforms for our little kids, and clothes, BOOKS, and go to the opera, or a ball game. No more, it’s become an open sewer.

Thank you for TR’s quotation which I had never seen before. Reading Egan’s book the Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher about Edward Curtis’s heroic efforts to photograph the last of the Native Americans from 1900-1930’s and TR plays a big role in that effort. And yes, SF is a cesspool now.

“………I’m trying to picture 50 American families moving to Dubrovnick and suggesting to the town fathers that we put English signs in the downtown of the old city……”.

I’ll hazard a bet that Dubrovnik does have some English signs. English is everywhere, wherever in the world you go……….

6. CINDY USEDOM says:

another good blog topic to ponder. Well shared! I am hoping EDH gives us a small break in the ramp-up.. at least for 10 years!

Or maybe not.. A I will trek down to see my son and sister and brother as regularly as i can stand it! ha! Love, Cindy Cindy Block Usedom Graphic Design and Art Direction

Mobile: 510-501-4140 Office: 925-426-3760 Portfolio: cpartner.wixsite.com/cindyblockusedom