Southern Idaho

P1090525

The Payette River

By cheri

Battling the traffic and crowds at all Bay Area airports has become a way of life for those of us who live there. So much so that we are jarred into a mindset which tells us that this jam-packed insanity is the new reality.

Not so in Idaho.

The Boise airport was a throwback to the early days of air travel. Few people walking to and from their gates; no line at the car rental agency; a pace conducive to civility.

Like any large city, Boise had its share of “traffic.”  Out of the city in 20 minutes with a stop-and-go similar to local city auto movement, we headed up Highway 55 towards McCall, Idaho where we would spend our first night.

Up the gorgeous Payette River Scenic By-Way we traveled. At about 3000 feet elevation the river became a torrent of whitewater rapids as the snowmelt injected voluminous  mass. The narrower the river, the more tumultuous the whitewater. And then the river widened to look like a glassy lake. Small islands, similar to Jackson’s Island (where Huck and Jim hid after Huck staged his own death) sprouted up at places on the Payette.

The smoke from the myriad fires burning in Oregon and Idaho sullied the skies and my photography.

P1090527

The Payette River

Perhaps the most exciting moment for me was the surprising presence of a small herd of horses and one mule flying down the dusty mountainside on their way to the beach on the Payette.

P1090536

“Surf’s Up!”

Imagine their surprise to find that humans were occupying their secret spot.

P1090540

“My friends are coming. Hay, what’s in that cooler?”

P1090541

P1090542

Looking through my camera lens was like what I imagine it is to have a cataract.

All scenes, muted and colorless, were also accented by a faint smoky smell,

Up in McCall, Idaho the first night, we escaped the haze. A sweet lake and, we understand, a robust ski season, around which this town’s economy seem to be dependent, was a welcome cooling vision.

We wandered down by the beach, reminding ourselves of the small children’s beach at Chamberlands in Homewood, California, where we had difficulty last month finding a patch of sand on which to locate a blanket, we stood in disbelief at the crowds on this children’s beach.

IMG_4184

McCall, Idaho

And then there was this image:

IMG_4185

20170908_180208_002

Dusk in McCall, Idaho

This entry was posted in My photography, Nature photography, Places and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Southern Idaho

Just the place to get away from all the noise and the crowds. The surroundings look idyllic to me – and the horses too.

I look forward to more reports, reflections and photographs. And later, perhaps, some paintings?

The surroundings are idyllic, Richard, but the people are not. Still the same grunge and the same profanity. Still loud trucks and tattoos all over the place. So I concentrate on the beauty of Nature. And beauty is in full bloom in Montana. The Capital Building in Helena, Montana, is gorgeous. I had hoped to take some stunning pictures of the Palouse…I have a few good ones but nothing special. But I am still hopeful and have miles to go. Thank you for your wonderful comment to my blog.

2. Sharon says:

Serenity!!! Calm!!!! How novel!!! Enjoy❤️

3. Dr. Jim Block says:

Hi Cheri,

The scenery looks spectacular. Thanks for taking the time to write about it and send photos.

Love,
    Jim

Thanks Jim! Wish you were traveling with us.

5. Brig says:

Idaho has so much beauty to see, and take in. Wish it could stay the land that time forgot, but that is not the way of things.
    Burgdorf Hot Springs in McCall has been on my wish list for a long time.

Brig,
    You are right. Here in Montana. Small towns are being purchased by the super wealthy and foreigners.

The smoke was a problem for me last year in Kansas, too, although there it was intentional, and mixed about 30/70 with dust from the soybean harvest. And you are dead on with your mention of cataracts. In the time between my first cataract removal/lens replacement and the second, I amused myself by looking through first one eye, then the other. The difference was remarkable, although it became even more remarkable once both eyes were done.

It was interesting to me that my first symptom wasn’t the quite common halo around lights. That came later, but at first, it was the loss of color saturation I noticed. When a green lawn became two or three shades brighter with one eye, it was time to consult with my beloved eye doc.

My favorite photo’s the white horse in the midst of the sand. That’s a nice one.