Conformity be gone!

P1070315by cheri sabraw

Behind a zebra’s pattern of stripes and curves and slants,

Lie fundamental questions that trigger gripes and nerves and rants.

We look somewhat alike, with tails and ears and eyes,

We eat and drink in jovial style all the ales, beers, and ryes.

P1070375

We adorn ourselves in feathers, in pinks and creames and corals,

We begin to blend together in winks and dreams and morals,

We conform just like a jello mold of watery sugary stuff

And before we know it, we’ve become the same and oh! is that enough?

P1070335

So, I shout on this glorious morn, to you and you and you,

It’s time to differentiate from gnu to ewe to zoo!

Become yourself with all your warts of fat and hairs and skin,

Kick up your heels, forget your spots and venture out within.

P1070349

This entry was posted in Life, My photography, My poetry, Parenting, People and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Conformity be gone!

1. Brig says:

Bravo Zulu & bellissima!!!

Your writing is always, in any event, distinctive and poetical in style, but this poem is a realignment of what has gone before at a number of levels.

There is a sense of experimentation, too, drawn from your love of animals, that fulfils the advice expressed in the piece — a self-reflecting completeness. I look forward to more in the same vein.

I have just one puzzle … ngu?

OGM ( I mean OMG)..I have reversed the letters in such a short word. Thank gnu, Richard.

You are so insightful. You must have been my therapist in my last life. No kidding. Yes. I am feeling freer as a human being and painting has begun to release me from self-imposed shackles. SO, I thought I would write some poetry that I enjoyed creating.

Thanks for reading so carefully that you caught my error.

3. Chris says:

Delightful as always. I didn’t realize you also wrote poetry. Will look forward to reading more. As to this piece, the unique and beautiful photos beg us to heed your advise. I want to shout, “I will, I will!”

There’s a lot of fun here, and a sly twist at the end contained in that phrase, “venture out within.” In this season of grand travels, it suggests the pleasure of a psychic stay-cation. That’s not the worst thing in the world.

Glad to read that you noticed my word-play at the end. If we could all master the stay-cation, therapists would be put out of business, wouldn’t they? Most of my writing contains hidden messages. I have fun doing that even though they are rarely identified.

Breezy, great fun, but like Bill Cosby used to say on Saturday mornings (before, you know, all that ) if you’re not careful you might learn something.

I’ve determined that as we age, we are not careful at all. By that I mean focusing on what is in front of us. We are easily distracted. I am not sure why this phenomenon occurs in so many people past the age of 60.