Happy Birthday, Dinah

by cheri

Today is Dinah’s 9th birthday.

My has time gone by.

IMG_3347

IMG_0974

As with all of us who move through the continuum, she is aging.

Her girth is wider.

She must eat at very specific times or she pesters.

Some of her teeth are missing (from chewing rocks).

She naps.

IMG_1328

She now ignores all wildlife that populate our acreage.

IMG_1760

But, for a 63-year-old, she is remarkably youthful. I’d like to think we have this in common.

She has boundless enthusiasm and smiles whenever possible.

She is continent.

Her coat is soft and full, thanks to the Omega-3’s and fatty acids in her food.

Exercise is still her thing.

IMG_6690

She barks at strangers on the road.

She adores treats.

She helps older people (than she) when possible.

IMG_0634_2

She copes with other members of the family, even when they annoy her.

IMG_1138

She detests technology and thinks it is ruining culture.

IMG_0641

For Dinah’s 9th birthday, she is going to take me for a walk up the road now.

Happy Birthday, Dinah!

This entry was posted in dogs, Life and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Happy Birthday, Dinah

1. ShimonZ says:

Happy Birthday, Dinah… you remind me of a wonderful friend of mine… may every moment along the way be precious.

2. Sharon says:

Gotta love a yellow lab! Just the best!!!

3. Happy birthday Dinah! I remember when you were but a glow in your human mother’s eye. You have both come a long way Love the picture of Dinah “taking care” of your mom. Life would be shallow without a doggie companion along the way.

Dinah took good care of Joanie when Joanie was at our house. Dogs seem to sense someone who needs a little bit of help–physically, emotionally, or spiritually.

4. Brig says:

Happy Birthday Sweet Dinah! Those of us who have followed your misadventures can appreciate your steadfast and loyal service to your family. Well Done!

Well, Brig, we have seen dogs come and go since writing our blogs, haven’t we? We miss our cats now because we are being overrun with mice/rats. Of course, they are not in the olive orchard with the owls there. And today, I discovered ground squirrels in our lawn. And the bats are back.

Please rub noses with Dinah for me and give her a pat on the back and a glass of beer as she embarks upon on her tenth year.

I look forward to many more tales of her wisdom, loyalty and adventures.

Wish Dinah a Happy Birthday from me too. “Dinah” – a good biblical name, that.

I’m intrigued with the picture of the other two canine members of the “family”. Are they yours too?

I will. The other two canines belong(ed) to my brother Jim and his wife, Karin. The black Labrador is Callie. She is from the same breeder who bred Dinah, so not related but from the same house. Good dog, she is. Much more chilled out than Dinah. The hilarious Dachshund was Chip. He was unneutered and had a big crush on Dinah. She liked Chip until he wouldn’t leave her alone. We all miss Chip. On one of my posts many years ago, I posted a picture of Chip driving.

I love the photos of Dinah, especially the one of her with Queen Joan. A fond scratch behind the girl from this fellow dog lover.

I love that photo of her with Queen Joan too. Posting it made me a little sad but then I snapped out of it (as Queen Joan would have expected). Your scratch behind the ear has been delivered.

I’ve not had the pleasure of knowing Dinah through the years, so it was especially fun to see the photos of her as a youngster. Cute? Oh, my gosh. Anyone who thinks animals don’t become full-fledged family members is just silly. Tell Dinah even a cat-lover thinks she’s marvelous, darling — and wish her many more happy birthdays.

Such a sweet comment. You are fortunate that you have not been privy to some of Dinah’s (shall we say) habits. She is lovely now and has been for about 4 years but her first five years were “challenging.” She shared a life with several amazing cats–Waco and Bobb. Both met gruesome endings here on the Rancho which is why we have not replaced them. Now we are overrun with rats. But, we have invested in 700.00 worth of Rat Zappers and are making headway. Boy do we miss our cats.

9. Chris says:

Happy birthday Dinah. I hope to meet you someday, but feel I know you well from the stories your mom has shared with me. My favorite picture is you napping and cooling off in the creek. Oh, to be so free. Have I told you that you have the most soulful eyes?

So true. I would lie in the creek but it is so filthy. Dinah doesn’t seem to care. Her eyes are soulful. It takes one with soul (like you) to recognize soulful eyes.