A Hot day in Paradise

by cheri sabraw

P1080259

Cheri! So good to see you again. The green grass is long gone, so here we have come down from the mountains and have been waiting for you with your camera and of course your ample supply of apples, carrots, and NutriGrain bars.

P1080263

Let us show you how much weight we have put on since last you snapped our  pictures in the middle of the drought when our ribs showed a bit.  Don’t  our coats look lusciously bay? If you paint us again, please use more burnt Siena than burnt umber. Add a little transparent orange. Oh, your Labrador  Dinah has also gained weight? She’s how much overweight? Ten pounds? Well, tell her to stop foraging for turkey poop on the ranch. The vet shamed you this morning? They tend to do this.

P1080257

So this is our best pose. Hey! ( I mean Hay!) you, Cheri, should not be walking up here with flip-flops on. This is rattlesnake weather. But anyway, aren’t we a picture? Will you paint us again? You’d better get started because Jim, our owner, has told us we are leaving for a Livermore ranch for harness training. You will have to come out and photograph us there. Deal? Don’t cry Cheri. Your tears are producing our longest saddest faces.

P1080256

Those NutriGrain bars are tasty. Whoa! Cheri. Don’t get so excited about our close proximity. Maybe you should talk to Jim and take us home. Oh? Your husband would NEVER go for this? He doesn’t like flies and manure and vet bills? Oh. One of those types?

P1080253

Don’t have such a long face, Cheri. You have immortalized us in your paintings. Oh. Whoa. You are painting 12×24 long canvases with our long faces. You are going to sell each of them (if you can find buyers)  for 250.00? Do we get a cut?

P1080267

Thanks for the snacks and conversation. Sorry your hand has slobber all over it and there are stickers in your boyfriend jeans, but we are worth it, right?

Right.

This entry was posted in clydesdale horses, Life and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to A Hot day in Paradise

1. Brig says:

OMG, I love every single bit of this post! Cheri the horse painter and whisperer.
    Can I sign on now for one of your paintings?

You, Brig, will not be paying 250! (Shhh don’t tell anyone) Let’s see how long it takes me to paint 10 of them…I love those horses and you and I have that in common. You are my only reader that I share that with, so WHOA! You have an in with the artist…

It does look hot in these pictures. I hope these horses have easy access to shade.

Are they yours?

I hope “Margaret” is still coming along fine.

Hi Christopher,
      Their access to shade is limited as the East Bay Hills are dry grass with some oaks. They do have a big water trough. They are not my horses. We do not have enough acreage to keep a horse without knowing (or smelling) it is there. That’s what makes visiting and painting these big fellas so freeing. They are not my financial responsibility!

Good news on the Margaret front. She is almost ready to be released back to her environment. I have been communicating with the Lindsay Wildlife Rehab Hospital about this. The notes on Margaret tell me that she is being cared for out of the hospital now and may be ready to fly by the end of next week. Rest assured that if they are ready to release her here, I will be recording that experience.

Perhaps the most exciting news I have is that our owl box has tenants. Pictures to follow.
      Hope you are well and doing fine.

That third photo’s my favorite. They seem like such a pair — and to my entirely untrained eye, they do seem a bit sleeker in this post. I never would have imagined a horse eating a Nutri-grain bar. Apples and carrots? Sure. But… well, why not?

I laughed at the tail of the horse closest to us in the last photo. That looks to me like insouciance on the hoof.

They are enormous animals; I am not sure why they DO look so sleek in that photo.

I fed them NutriGrain bars because that’s what I had in my glove box. Ha! Since I never know whether they will be at the bottom of our road, I sometimes arrive there with no snacks for the Clydes. I was surprised they ate the bars too.

I have almost finished the bison oil painting that I began two months ago, and now will try a series of head shots of my friends, the Clydes. I was able to snap a few choice LONG shots.

And love your description of “insouciance on the hoof.” My what an incredible wordsmith you are. Impressive to the nines.