On the road to Oklahoma

P1070540

“Home watching the nest” photo by c. sabraw 2017

by cheri

My husband flew to Flagstaff, Arizona, last night to hook up with his high-school buddy, who is driving to Oklahoma to inspect the oil wells his father left him and his brother. Evidently, one well is not producing.

“Bring your work boots and gloves,” Bruce told Ron.

So off they drive into tornado country, two vital and manly sixty-somethings, jeans and work boots, memories and nostalgia.

It is a very neat (and sexy) package.

Masculine seems to out of favor these days what with the pelting of the American male by everybody and every institution on the West Coast and East Coast. And sadly, the American male has acquiesced, in some cases becoming soft and squishy.

I am attracted to a man who like his vodka tonics (and gets annoyed when the tonic is out of a gun), who approaches serious topics with serious intensity, who has a Skill Saw in his garage and can perform electrical repair, who chooses a hotdog at the turn instead of a salad, who knows how to shoot a rifle and a handgun instead of how to call the alarm company, who has served his country, who still carries a handkerchief in his back pocket, who has no idea how to  use Uber, and who still wants to enlist in the Israeli IDF (if needed).

This kind of man appeals to me.

God Speed.

P1070528

“It’s OK to be prickly ” photo by c. sabraw 2017

This entry was posted in Life, People and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to On the road to Oklahoma

1. imagenmots says:

carving a nest in a cactus? These pidgeons are at leas as sturdy as the ( grease monkey?) you love

Yes. These doves make their nests in the most unlikely of places. Often, they select the worst possible locations–above a window, in a rickety bougainvillea trellis plant or, as you saw, in a saguaro cactus.

It’s odd to think of oil wells in private hands. In the UK all oil and pretty well all coal, gold and silver is owned by the state. The state then grants licences to explore and exploit, (or options for leases in the case of gold and silver).

Now, if I owned the minerals under my garden I would dig much harder and carry a handkerchief in my back pocket.

I wouldn’t mind owning a producing oil well. This is the time of year where you are digging and hauling, cajoling and planting. Yes. You need a lot of hankies in your back pockets.

• Richard says:

I can wield a good hammer, turn a good screw, throw a good starting-handle, lay a good cable, lift a good turf, dig a good trench, square a good flat-pack, sway a good chain-saw, speed a good bike (in my youth), sweat a good shirt, drill a good drill, sire a good offspring, clench a good fist, flash a good rage, yell a good yell, throw a good stone, blow a good nose…

Any use?

• Richard says:

… and as my blood surges with vernal hormones, Trump whips that “Fat crazy kid” and Spain threatens Gibraltar….

“Let them do their worst … and we will do our best!”

Well, he IS a fat crazy kid, isn’t he?

• Richard says:

Yes – and not just that.

To what does your pronoun “that” refer?

• Richard says:

Homicidal maniac, psychopath, nihilist – things of that ilk.

Nice work, ilk. Rhymes with silk.

• Richard says:

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police … yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home — all the more powerful because forbidden — terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

Winston Spencer Churchill

Another prescient WSC quotation. Since I just finished the new book about his wife, Clementine, I have lots of thoughts about him. I had no idea they were never really wealthy and often depended (unhappily) on the gifts from others. I also had no idea that Pamela, his son Randolph’s wife, entertained a number of Americans–Edward Murrow, Averil Harriman and more–in the bedroom. Churchill was desperate to get the Americans on board in fighting the war and what better way to begin the dance than to appeal to their egos and appetites. Did you know this?

• Richard says:

I did not know that about Pamela, although WSC’s children had a series of problems, growing up as they did in his shadow. Those who moved in such circles had a very different approach to life. Clementine must have had a hard time, what with his periods of private doubt and “Black Dog”. A man is only ever as great as the woman behind him – as my mother always made clear to me!

I have an LP of Churchill’s speeches, which I often played in the vinyl days. The memory of it gives me a ready gateway to important quotes. I also grew up with many of them. His delivery is of equal importance to his poetry. The disc was edited by Ed Murrow, so I shall never listen to it in quite the same way again! Winston was, of course, half
                American.

He bought Chartwell, which is only fifteen or so miles from here, when he was virtually insolvent, but he always knew he could pay his way with his writing. His admirers were always ready to help and there weren’t the same scruples about public funds. We regularly visit Chartwell, now owned and maintained by The National Trust, with its garden and splendid views over the Weald.

May I ask you recommend a book about Abraham Lincoln?

We need you for chain-saw detail immediately on the Rancho. A 200-year-old oak went down in the last storm. Let us know when you book your flight. We will have the saw.

3. Yes, I think I know that guy.

4. Susan says:

I wonder who the model was for your ideal man . . . I think I know.

The clue was the vodka tonic with tonic out of a bottle. He is known for that choice (world-wide..even Paul (imagenmots) and Richard) have observed him in action.

So. I’m guessing Pajama Boy isn’t ever going to make your top hundred, let alone your top ten. Mine, either.

6. Sharon says:

Girl, I am so with you!!! Great qualities!!!

7. CINDY USEDOM says:

I love that post!!!! Love cindy

Cindy Block Usedom Graphic Design and Art Direction

Mobile: 510-501-4140 Office: 925-426-3760 Portfolio: cpartner.wixsite.com/cindyblockusedom

8. My words, “a man’s man.” My husband didn’t drink tonic or such but he did sneak his beer and JD. (raised strict Baptist) but he could outwork just about any man. I have never cared for the “dainty” kind of fellow either.

Your pics are excellent. Love the cactus with the bird’s nest.

Hi Yvonne, so good to hear from you! Ha! My grandmother was a SBaptist from Anna Texas and she loved a little tiddly…The desert flowers are absolutely gorgeous this spring here in Arizona. I’ll hope to post more this week. Those doves. Aren’t they clever?

• Yes, the doves are clever. I enjoy the soft cooing of the mourning dove in the early morning. Time seems to pass with more ease whenever I hear the doves. The doves are not showy birds but the soft murmurings are soothing and I take delight in watching them as they drink from my simple concrete bird bath.

Apart from liking vodka (although with orange), carrying a handkerchief (although in a side-pocket), and having no idea how to use uber, I’m as far from your idea of an appealing man as you get.

However, I’ve been told by some, that I look a bit like Dick Cheney. Does this help?

Well, you have three of my criteria! You also have good humor, which is high on my list. The grumpy old man syndrome is a battle (and grumpy old woman). Dick Cheney, heh?

I agree with His Honor wholeheartedly that tonic comes out of a bottle, not some damn nozzle.

Oh, let’s not get the two of you together. This issue is long-standing in our marriage, so much so, that I vicariously get anxious when the drink is delivered and am waiting for his first sip. Why not carry your own tonic in the trunk of your car? I ask.

11. Brig says:

If you find any more Men like that, please give me a holler, they don’t seem to be making them any more…

Hi. My name is Peter. I am unemployed (long-term!), currently living with my mom. I drink neither alcohol nor soda (neither from a gun nor otherwise), possess neither a Skill Saw (whatever that may be) nor a garage, couldn’t perform electrical (nor any other kind of repairs) even if you pointed a rifle or a handgun at me (neither of which, incidentally, I have the foggiest idea how to shoot), am a devoted vegetarian who will choose a salad over a hot dog any day of the week and twice on Sunday, have not only not served my country but have served neither of both my countries, wouldn’t be caught dead carrying a handkerchief in my back pocket, and to this day haven’t been able to figure out whether to root for the Israelis or the Palestinians … so, wanna hang out sometime?

So what is your definition of a real man?

• Cyberquill says:

As opposed to what? A trans?

A real man. Yes. Not a GMO man.

• Cyberquill says:

There’s this meme floating around that shows a guy with a big camera and a zoom lens photographing wildlife, and the caption reads, “This is how real men shoot animals.” I like that. But I don’t know. Maybe a real man is one that couldn’t care less whether he is, or is perceived as, a real man. That said, being able to perform electrical repairs and having served one’s country are certainly positive qualities, regardless of gender.

When very young I said to myself I’m not gong to turn into some woman’s idea of how a man should be.

The result has been a life of womanlessness……….