Quail new year

p1060864

Atop a silver castle, his plumage ordered, bedecked, he sports a brick-red crew cut and keeps his beak Roman and circumspect.

p1060869

Under his crusty castle, my body hunched at best,  I long for a mate that’s relaxed, and a roll in our hidden nest.

p1060865

Your antics tick me off, I’m trapped by monogamous law, and if you knew what’s good for you, you’d stand on both your claws.

p1060867

Try to balance, sissy, upon your strongest leg, and when you are done admiring me, please go scramble me an egg!

This entry was posted in My photography and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Quail new year

1. Qualies! I just love their soothing little calls.

Thanks for the comment. I see that you live near the Columbia River Gorge. I love the gorge, especially up in Hood River.

• That should’ve read “quailies.”

I would love to be up Hood River way today but the getting there would be disastrous. Snow + ice = Portland clenches its collective sphincter.

Yes! My son lives on the West Slope. We were there 3 weeks ago…whew…ice on those roads. People abandoned their cars…scary. Enjoy your day; hope you have a fireplace. Here in the San Francisco Bay Area we might just blow off the mountain. Even my Labrador is huddling by my fire.

• Yeah, that’s one downside to living on the nice side of town–we have to drive over the hills and through the bad side to get to the Gorge.

The Forest Heights crowd on top of Skyline Boulevard cracks me up. They park their cars along the top of the road for safety but then they try to mince their way down the steep, icy streets in stilettos and leather-soled shoes to get to their houses. You’d think one of them would have the bright idea of putting hiking boots and poles in the trunk. Fun to watch, though.

2. Brig says:

I miss the quail that used to walk on top the board fence around the bunkhouse at the home ranch. Males always strutting their stuff, they were, and herding their harems around.

No quailing quail, these! They seem entirely self-assured and quite handsome. How lucky you are to have them — and to have the skill to capture them this way.

Yes. I delight in their antics and expressions.They crack me up although I will admit that the cottontails that share the safety of the bushes with the quail provide entertainment as well. Now, if I could just be sitting there on my patio with my camera focused and have the road runners go by. Every time they do, I am not quick enough and as the old cartoons would toot “mee meep” and they have vanished.

• shoreacres says:

I have exactly two photos of one road runner. The first shows its head coming into the frame, and the second shows the end of its tail, departing!

Well then. You will be the first person to which I send a road runner photo, once that blessed event happens. I have 3 more 2-week sojourns in Arizona planned. Let’s hope for a road runner fest.

I do see them mating in the early spring out on the golf course. At first, I had no idea what was going on. It looks like a Roomba in action.

What is it with these quails?
    Beside themselves with vanity
    Or is it just all males?

If pride’s what it entails
    It truly is inanity
    Or is it just all males?

Yet she seems keen but fails
    Somehow she keeps her sanity
    What is it with these quails?

He seems as hard as nails
    So cool with bland urbanity
    Or is it just all males?

Perhaps if she regales
    Him with art and not profanity
    What is it with these quails?

For human smart females
    Demand their men’s insanity
    What is it with these quails?
    Or is it just all males?

It’s all males. Why is that? btw, I love your poem. As clever as you are…OH! and I am hooked on the Matthew Shardlake Tudor Mysteries. I finished Dissolution and am on to the second. Thank you for your recommendation, Richard.

• Richard says:

These villanelles are hard to rhyme. At one stage I Was so desperate
        I was considering “cranberry tea” – seriously. Then thankfully “profanity” appeared. And now suddenly “humanity”” occurs to me, which I might have been able to work in for line 17.

I’m glad you like Shardlake.

• Richard says:

Is this better for theclosing quatrain:

Men’s domination pales
        Against the female of humanity
        What is it with these quails?
        Or is it just all males?

• I concur and I do the same thing, revising poems after the fact and wishing the comments sections wasn’t so damned permanent.

• Richard says:

Thank you for that, atw. Ideas do seem to evolve in a suitable environment – if they survive, that is.

• I’ve noticed a peculiar phenomenon wherein I suddenly recognize all sorts of typos and stupidity in my work the moment I hit that WordPress “publish” button. It’s effect is stronger on the brain than two cups of coffee and a walk. If I could bottle it, Pfizer would be breaking down my front door with a 24 karat gold battering ram.

• Richard says:

I have been enjoying all your adventures from my armachair and can see little wrong with your posts.

As for myelf, I am shameless about editing whenever possible.

Yes. That quatrain is better.
    Poetry surely must improve brain function, right?

I would hope you don’t count yourself among the quail-hunters. I quail at the very thought of the barbarity of what they do.

Incidentally, whatever became of J Danforth Quayle? Once the bane of English-language lovers, he’s been silent for too long.

Are you kidding? Me? Shoot anything other than a prowler?
    I wonder what has become of Dan Quayle….not that I care.
    Happy New Year Christopher. I hope 2017 will be a good one for you in all respects.