Aftermath, a spy story, by John Podesta translated by Julian Assange

by cheri sabraw

The wind howls this morning in gusts of exuberance. Even the 150-year-old oak trees anchor their roots to secure their moorings. Our handsome black walnut trees sway like Polynesian dancers  at the lower end of our meadow. The capricious dead sycamore leaves circle the driveway like swarms of angry bees, out of control by the whims of the wind.

Last night, the skunks fled their dens. Rain is coming.

Like a child, I step out into this frenzied atmosphere taken in by the energy of the storm.

From Mission Peak, a lone hiker yells down the canyon, “Fraud!”

My robe, once tight around my waist, loosens out on the driveway as I hurriedly stack patio furniture before the wind can airlift it recklessly into the order of the orchard.

The atmosphere is electric and mysterious like the setting from The Hound of the Baskervilles wherein distant barking and baying portend an unsolved murder.

From Mission Peak, the sore loser yells, ” A Free Press!”

I call up to the shoulder of the mountain, struggling with my independent robe, ” The press happened last month. Our yield was 256 bottles of olive oil!”

From Mission Peak, “Conspiracy,  Putin, the election!!” shrieks he.

Oh, you meant Press as in the Washington Press Corps, I yell.

The clouds come closer, darken, and form into that glib superior smile we saw often during the recent presidential election.

I call out to the lone hiker, are you The Spy Who Loved Me? Are you From Russia With Love?

Who are you?

He goes silent.

My robe flies up into the trees, snarled in the redwood branches. Now,  I am able to be myself, unconstrained and free from the sash that binds my waist.

You idiots! I bellow. The hounds bay.

John Podesta returns to his keyboard.

The desperate become more so.

This entry was posted in Politics and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Aftermath, a spy story, by John Podesta translated by Julian Assange

1. Paul Costopoulos says:

Legend has it that Nero played a violin while Rome was burning…and that he had set the fire himself. But then, maybe, just maybe, I was the guy on the peak.

I love your comment, Paul. What an appropriate historical reference. I am grateful that you still “put up” with my posts and haven’t lost your sense of humor. Merry Christmas to you, Therese and your entire family.

• Paul Costopoulos says:

We used to have some very conservative friends who, eventually, excluded us from their circle. I have never exiled anyone for political reasons. I may not appreciate your Trumpiness, but you are still the Cheri, and, I presume the Ron,, that we so appreciated meeting in Montreal…and hope to meet again. The Donald, of course, not invited. He exceeds my limits.

Ron thinks a great deal of you, Paul, for your intellectual rigor and downright French Canadian common sense and kindness. You are welcome here anytime. We loved your neck of the woods so who knows? We may come back and if so, we will not miss the opportunity to see you both again. We do not know Donald Trump and as you know from reading my ramblings, we were more against Hillary and Bill than we were for the Donald.

2. cpartner@comcast.net says:

One of your absolute best blogs! For many reasons. Very nice! I await my yearly exam here in Walnut Creek 30 minutes early as I thought the storm would add to the traffic. I must say it is eirilly calm here. No wind. Only drizzle. Have a lovely day. Thanks for lunch. Love, Cindy

Cindy Block Usedom Cindy and Partners

Cell: 510-501-4140 Office: 925-426-3760 http://www.cindyandpartners.com

Why thank you little sister. Thank you for reading my mental wanderings…especially this one which takes some study. And lunch was perfect, wasn’t it?

3. It was good to see Cindy yesterday, I thought you were still in Dallas. It is cold and windy here with drizzle. It helps the cookies bake.

Your shortbread cookies were absolutely THE BEST. Each one must have had 1/4 cup butter. I tried not to think of that. Took them with me on the plane and had them with coffee. I thought of you, still baking at your age. What an inspiration you are.

When you turn this screenplay into a film, I’ve got the perfect intro for the score.

Perfect. This song also reminds me of the soap opera, All My Children. When I was a college girl and living in the sorority house (that’s a blog post), we would come home for lunch, park our gossipy selves in front of the TV and watch AMC. “I’ll Be Watching You” was a theme song for a number of episodes.
    And yes, for Aftermath, great selection. Would you be my music advisor if I hit it big?

My not being too bright, it’s taken me inordinately long to grasp that a theme (there may be others) of your delightful little fable is that Crooked Hillary and her acolytes have used “The Russians” as a convenient excuse for why she lost. Duh.

While hacking by “The Russians” into Podesta’s e-mails, and redistributing them to hostile parties is not supported by any evidence so far publicly disclosed, I don’t discount that this may have happened, for “The Russians” (being a government, or agents of one) would at least have tried to hack into these e-mails, as well as into any other sensitive government web-sites.

All spook agencies of whatever government anywhere (including America’s) demonstrably have done, and continue to do, the same thing, regardless of whether the targeted websites belong to friend or foe. There is no honour among thieves.

Dear Christopher, Not smart??? Such false modesty. You are another person I would like to sincerely thank this holiday season for your many years of valuable and thought-provoking comments. How you have stayed with Notes, I do not know. I appreciate your word “delightful” because I had a lot of fun writing it. Lots in there, I think but you are right: it is not subtle.

That we are probably hacking the Russians and they are hacking us is a forgone conclusion, don’t you think? As you say, spooks are spooks. Don’t forget the tremendous and expensive hacking the Chinese are doing. Their damage is far worse economically than the Russians’, don’t you think?

I rarely know what to say when you and Richard spar…I read those comments but am not well-versed in law and economics…other than I ran a successful business for 14 years and am married to someone who has lots of legal opinions!! Happy Holidays…or should I say Merry Christmas to you, Christopher. I do appreciate you.

• Christopher says:

@Cheri – I do appreciate you too.

You asked, “…How you have stayed with Notes, I do not know…..”

Well……..because “Notes” is, for me, a warm and welcoming oasis to come into whenever I like, from the cold of an indifferent and soulless cyberspace. Wherever “Notes” goes, I will follow. May “Notes” prosper for as long as you wish to write them.

Happy Christmas/ Hanukkah/Winter Solstice, or whatever, to you too, and your family, including of course, Dinah.

Thank you, Christopher. I have given Dinah your personal greetings with a good pat. She sends pleasant vibes up to BC! To have you say that you find this little space on the internet is a welcoming oasis means the world to me. Happy New Year to you. I hope 2017 is good for all of us.

Thank you, Christopher. I have given Dinah your personal greetings with a good pat. She sends warm brown eyes and an enthusiastic wagging of that rudder-like tail and positive canine vibes up to BC! To have you say that you find this little space on the internet is a welcoming oasis means the world to me. I’ll keep writing. Happy New Year to you. I hope 2017 is good for all of us.

I clicked to your blog and see that you are not writing very much. Too bad. Then I clicked to Jenny’s blog and saw the old gang there. They have abandoned my blog for reasons I think I know. It’s OK. When you are on the “wrong “side of the culture war, they just can’t take it. That’s the way super liberals are…they speak of the beauty of freedom of thought but revolt when it is expressed.

• Paul Costopoulos says:

I don’t think there are Right or Wrong sides in a culture war but some propositions, on either side are, at times, unpalatable; Trump and Hillary might have been two illustrations of that. However, chosing between castor oil or cod liver oil, I prefer honey. However, cod is less bad tasting than castor. (being Herr Trump)