Part Two: Gratitude: where is it?

img_7546

Lake Tahoe on a fall day  (photo credit to D. Usedom) 2016

by cheri sabraw

Four years ago I wrote about gratitude, the quality of being thankful, and gratitude, a wire sign I saw on the wall of Lily’s Coffee House.

I purchased the sign for $45.00, intending to bring it back to my home and hang it on the bedroom wall so it would be the first word I would see when I awoke and remind me to take stock of my many blessings.

Unfortunately, I left the sign wrapped in newspaper, like a freshly caught trout,  in my little house on the Central Coast. My cleaning lady, Graciela, inadvertently threw away the sign, a mystery that took us, in both broken Spanish and broken English, several weeks to unravel.

No problem, Graciela. I am grateful for you and do not want you to worry that you threw the gratitude sign away,  I told her.

She was, indeed, grateful for my reaction and offered to pay for it.

No, my friend, you cannot pay for gratitude. It is something that you must ponder every day if you are to keep your sanity in this world.

Four years have passed.

I find that the secret to a contented life is to be grateful. Every day.

p1040696

Chicago, May 2016 (photo by C. Sabraw)

So, in the spirit of taking my own advice, I will call up what I am grateful for this very October morning:

1. Fresh air

2. The ability to walk

3. Pandora

4. Brexit

5. A fat loving dog

6. A studly husband (note this list is not in descending order)

7. Siblings who agree with me politically

8. blueberries

9. Harry Truman and Ronald Reagan

10. Winston Churchill

p1050960

Aleutian Islands, Alaska (photo credit R. Sabraw) August 2016

I am sure you have your own lists. Do you care to share?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Part Two: Gratitude: where is it?

I have tried to make such a list, but each time I do, I’m interrupted by the apparition of Joe Feeney of The Lawrence Welk Show singing “Be Thankful”. I should note that I am grateful for Joe Feeney.

2. Brig says:

I’m grateful that I have eyes to see, ears to hear, a body that can get me around, and a mind that understands how amazing life is…

3. Sharon says:

I am grateful for every morning that my feet hit the ground.
    I am grateful for the soft cooing and beginning smiles of my new born grandsons.
    I am grateful for the unconditional love of my granddaughter, who thinks I am special.
    I am grateful that every time I think of myself as a new widow, I don’t start to cry or get horribly sad!
    I am grateful for a loving God who has helped carry me over the last 8 months of this new journey.
    Lastly, I am grateful for a friend who asks the question!

4. I love this post. What an interesting list – I like especially Brexit and Winston Churchill on your list! Fresh air and the ability to walk are very valued. Can you tell me more about Pandora? Is this your Hope against all the evils? The existence of Woman? Or are you a fan of that jewellery range that has swept the world?

So you’re more grateful for British independence from the E.U. than you are for American independence from Britain?

Ha! We might be better off if we were England of the Americas…at least that’s how I feel at this point in American history.

• Richard says:

You assiduously avoid an opinion about Brexit, CQ.

Do you bide your time for the Presidency of All Europe?

Or, since the EU is unable to cope with the independence granted to it by the British people, do you simply prefer conquest through the agency of a European Army?

I managed nine:

Gift of love
    Tranquility,
    Sea and ships,
    Heather and moorland,
    Forgiveness,
    Liberty
    Precious moments,
    Independence,
    A dear wife.

I love your list and your clever way of creating it. I’d like to have more tranquility and a dear wife. 🙂

I am most impressed by Ron’s photographs. They are superbly constructed and convey a despair about his beloved country – and indeed the world – in the hands of either Presidential candidate.

The American people, their quiet strength, genius, resolve and fundamental decency will prevail sooner than you think.

Ah, gratitude. I suspect our lists change from time to time, especially if we’re honest about the particularities of our circumstances, and don’t try to impress others. Today, I’m grateful for:

In-room coffee
    A dependable car
    Farmers willing to devote themselves to the raising and harvesting of crops
    A body that heals quickly
    Good bones (yes, there will be a story)
    The abiility to leave home for a while
    A home to return to
    Kitty-sitters who send photos of the most morose animal ever, even though they have to peer under the bed to do it.
    In-room coffee

You have definitely had some adventures on the road to prairie and I look so forward to first, your photographs and second, your narrative. And yes…coffee. In-room, home-brewed..coffee shop…Did you go back to the Flint Hills? I think I already mentioned that while there, we bought a large oil painting of the prairie. LOVE it!

• shoreacres says:

I did. Now, I’m in far southwestern Kansas, and slanting homeward. I think I should be there on Saturday — depending on how distracted I become on the way….

Far southwestern Kansas… we did not get off Highway 50 to go to that region although my husband always buys a ball cap of one of the college teams so if we are stopped by a Highway Patrolman, he will at least have a local connection. Safe travels!!!