Waffles and Waffalls

img_3546by cheri

I realize this image is rather earthy: a warm buckwheat and blueberry waffle resting asymmetrically on a pedestrian paper plate, its blueberries warning of dark caverns filled with butter and pure maple syrup–a bite of hot crust that envelops the tang of hidden fruit.

Waffles and fall are the best of friends.

Today is the first day of fall, my favorite time of year, a season during which I summon all of the innocence and joy still in my heart while I stir  the flour, the egg, the oil, and Luca’s honey into the batter of my childhood.

The early morning smell of the marine layer still hovers in my memory, stimulating me, like injected adrenaline, to run like the dickens in a gold hooded sweatshirt  on a vacant Capitola beach, assisted in lunacy by  hundreds of seagulls circling and  calling to each other in a deafening ocean symphony. I call back!

My mother’s waffles, Belgian squares of heat and sweet, send me off to school where I run around like a little filly full of energy and oats. Oh to have a mother here, to make me waffles!

The days darken. I’m ten years old. At bedtime the fallen leaves blow in dried and crackling circles outside my window on Mayfield Drive. I listen like an owl  to their scratchy melody and anticipate my birthday, Halloween, and Thanksgiving. I have so much to look forward to!

Even today, I welcome fall with open arms and a waffle.

This entry was posted in Life, My childhood and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Waffles and Waffalls

1. I love this memory of yours. It brings back the joy and innocence of a happy childhood. It is also filled with the expectation of happy days to come.

2. Bruce says:

One of my childhood memories came with from a boy named Ron. I had cinamon toast for the first time before going out to play.

Welcome to my blog, Bruce. I have a feeling this Ron was a Ron that I know. I will check with him tonight about cinnamon toast before playtime.

I notice you put your birthday before Halloween — could it be that you’re an October birthday, too? I love my October birthday. It’s always seemed the perfect season to me: full of color, and ripe fruits, and the first cool nights that call for real comfort food. Your waffles look perfect. This is when I begin craving apple cider, and homemade apple cider doughnuts, and popcorn balls.

You had your marine layer and seagulls. For me, it was the piles and piles of maple and elm leaves, and the smoke from the fires. When they burn the wildlife refuges here, or the cane fields in Louisiana, and the smoke drifts by, it only takes a whiff for the years to disappear.

Thanks for the memories. Have an extra waffle for me!

I love your rich description of maple and elm leaves and the smoke! And yes, I have an early October birthday…I am not surprised we share October birthdays…You seem to be the quintessential Libra (or are you a Scorpio?). I, too, have loved having my birthday in October. Everything is perfect in October.

I am still able to recreate those beach vacations by driving 45 minutes to Capitola. Except now–with Silicon Valley on economic fire, the traffic is extreme…like Los Angeles. It’s so sad.

And now that fall has arrived, I will be eating more waffles (and heading to the gym an extra day to do so!)

Happy October birthday to you, Linda.

What’s waffall, please?

If you can find something that tops open arms and waffles, I’d like to see it.

Thank you, wk. That would be a perfect title for your next poem.

What could top open arms and a waffle? How about an Adirondack chair, a fire pit, and a Scotch? How about the smell of bacon and eggs in a kitchen with a wood-burning stove?
    How about pot roast, soft potatoes and maple glazed carrots with a glass of Cabernet, all consumed while the thunder roils throughout the valley?
    And? and?

The most waffling post I’ve read in a long time.

9. Brig says:

This was simply a delicious post. Fall is one of my favorite seasons, not so much for the food, but for the feel of the air, the glittering showers of quakie leaves, and the smell of the earth.

Why thank you, Brig. We are so parched here; I am waiting for the smell of the earth!

11. I really prefer eating wafflings and use golden syrup. A good waffling in the Southern Hemisphere is made using eucalypt leaves with sprigs of wattle during early spring. I am of course talking about making them in a outside oven. Once spring has gone, the humble waffling just turns into a …well…a normal waffle.

Hello Gerard,
      Welcome to this blog. I have read your lively comments on Kayti’s blog and recently on Shoreacres’. I will have to see what you are all about.
      Wafflings with eucalptus leaves! Sounds like a dish to fulfill breakfast longings as well as a compress for a congested chest!

12. Chris says:

Pleasurable as always. Remembering my grandmother’s kitchen in Ohio with its screen-in porch that allowed all the earthy smells of the farm to enter the kitchen and invite you outdoors. The long walks on the dirt path with the maple leafs underfoot. Thanks for nudging my memory.

Thank you for creating an olfactory experience that I enjoyed, my dear!