Go out and do it!

IMG_0460by cheri

My grandfather Harry told me one time, “Cheri, the secret to life is to get up and get out.”

Pretty good advice from a 92-year who continued to stay as active as he could until the last two weeks of his life.

My brother Jim is a protegé of his grandfather, choosing to live life rather than have life live him.

There he is last May atop one of the red-rock arch formations in Arches National Park.

Jim is a dentist; his hands produce his livelihood. And there he is, waving those hands to the Universe.

Sure, he could fall, shatter his wrists, and never pull another tooth, never fill another cavity, never practice dentistry again.

But.

That is not the way he wants to live his life.

I am inspired by this type of living.

His example reminds me to look up instead of down, to look forward instead of backward, to do instead of to don’t.

What do you do to live your life?

What are you thinking of doing?

Will you do it?

P.S. I need to answer these three questions myself!

This entry was posted in Life, People and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Go out and do it!

1. JFB says:

Wow Cheri! I am truly honored that you would write about me. It’s not a “why would she write about me thing.” Just that as I get older I find I am a pretty private person (except if I am speaking with you and Ron) and just don’t “seek the attention,” like I believe I used to. I truly am blessed with wonderful sibs & a special family. Thanks again! I love you more than you will ever know. I stupid cliche but it’s how I feel. Love, Your brother Jim

Sent from my iPhone

2. Yay! Add me to the list of admirers. Jim is an amazing guy we have been privileged to know and love his entire life. You are pretty amazing yourself. Maybe the wise sayings of your grandfather inspired all of you to get out and get going! Love you all so much. AK

Thank Aunt Kayti. We’ve all done pretty well for ourselves, all four of us. Harry had tremendous influence. Just writing these words reminds me how powerful grandparents ca be in the lives of their grandkids.

Some readers get all their thrills in life by pressing the “Post Comment” button.

Are you sure that isn’t just a giant dental bridge you brother Jim’s happening to fit for a patient? All in the line of duty, I’d say.

Here Goes !!!!!

You are as funny as you are witty. And seeing the arch as a dental bridge shows me your creative side is in full bloom. Now is the time to write a creative story, Richard.

• Richard says:

Once upon a time there were two little boys. One was called Jimmie and the other was called Dickie.

Jimmie and Dickie were friends. Jimmie was a very GOOD little boy but Dickie was a very BAD little boy. When Jimmie’s mummy told him to eat his food he ate it ALL up and there was nothing left. When Dickie’s mummie told him to eat his food he waited until she wasn’t looking and stuffed it in his pockets. When Jimmie’s mummie told him to tidy his room, he cleaned it until it was spotless and tidied it so well that his mummie gasped out loud when she came to see. When Dickie’s mummie told him to tidy his room he just gazed out of his window and Dickie’s mummie whipped him. When Jimmie’s mummie told him to practice the piano such beautiful sounds came forth that his mummie dreamt of sandie beaches, snow-topped mountains and Jimmie’s Daddie. When Dickie’s mummie told him to practice the piano the cat left home and Dickie’s Daddie had a migraine.

Jimmie had a sister called Chaerie and when their mummie told them to play together they played happily all day long. Dickie had a sister called Marjorie and when their mummie told them to play together he pulled her plaits, made her scream and their mummie had a migraine.

When Jimmie and Dickie went to school together, Jimmie was top of the class and Dickie was bottom of the class.

Now, you remember the story I told you last night of the little wooden boy whose nose grew longer when he told a lie? Of course you do. Well, every time Dickie told a lie a tooth got bigger. It hurt so much that his mummie had to tie a big scarf under his chin and tie it with a big knot over his head. When he went to school he cried.

Jimmie was very sad when he saw his friend cry but, try as he might, he couldn’t make the hurt go away. So when he passed all his exams he went to a school where he learned how to mend teeth. Soon after he spent all his time mending teeth for people and making their hurts go away. Dickie didn’t pass any exams and when he grew up he told lots of lies. He told so many lies that each of his teeth grew bigger and bigger until it fell out. So ashamed was he that he dared not ask his friend to mend them.

At last, Dickie had only two teeth left and they were growing bigger and bigger and he just had to visit Jimmie for help. Jimmie was very pleased to see him but shocked at Dickie’s plight. All he could do was to build a bridge between Dickie’s last two giant teeth so that Dickie could chew on them with false teeth.

Dickie ran away to the desert where he starved, his last two giant teeth fell out with the bridge still between them and he wandered away and died and his body was eaten by vultures.

One day, Jimmie was in the desert with his beautiful wife Sophie and he said: My goodness! There are Dickie’s last two teeth I fitted a bridge to. (Dentists are clever at saying to whom a tooth belongs.)

Sophie saw how happy Jimmie was, stopped the car and took his photograph as he inspected his handiework, so now everyone can see. Jimmie is a very modest person and does not like everyone to see what he did, but is much too polite to say so.

And they all lived happily ever after.

I think you have missed your calling, Sir Richard, especially regarding the literary conceit. I take it you are descended from one John Donne. Your ability to select names for your characters is beyond compare. Finally, I laughed until I cried. I give you a B+ for this story. Your imagination stretched to come up with this extended metaphor. There is some repetition in your expression. Your ending is overused. Please try again in the future.
        Mrs. S

• Richard says:

Thanks, Miss. The best grade I ever had. Little Dickie would have thrived with your handling, stood proud and never told any lies.

So would John Donne, whoever he was. Little Dickie was descended fom Richard Roe.

This brings to mind Henry James’ The Beast in the Jungle (which, as a critical aside, strikes me as a bit of a rich-man’s-O-Henry potboiler, but still) as well as Masters’ “Georgie Gray” with a side helping of “Alexander Throckmorton” as well. Foreboding and regret are each overrated as guiding lights for one’s conduct.

Hi wk,
      I am getting up now and fetching my ragged copy of Spoon River to review Georgie Gray and Alexander Throckmorton.
      You last line is sage. Is it our nature as humans to spend too much time fearing life? And then, when we finally begin to see life’s light, we make a u-turn into regret? And if so, why?

6. Paul Costopoulos says:

At 85, I have lived more than I still have to live. I start hearing:Look you are 85, slow down, take it easy, those things are not for people your age! By golly, people, lay off a wee bit. I may not have much time left but I intend to make the most of it.
    Next week, off to New Hampshire for a craft exhibition where Thérèse hopes to find those beautiful hair broches that a lady, met on our June Baltic cruise says she buys them; next October, off to the Canary islands for Thérèse’s 80th birthday then in December a visit to our son’s new abodes in St-Albert, Alberta…and so on and so forth.
    Slow down? To hell with it.

It’s this exact view of living life that will keep you around for at least another decade…maybe more. The craft exhibition sounds like so much fun to me. Let us all know here on the blog whether Thérèse’ finds those broaches. Eighty years??? Hard to believe but I will look forward to hearing how you all celebrated. Must be clean living and that Quebec air. Thanks for your comment, Paul.

What do I do to live my life? I work. I write. I pet the cat. I make eggplant, Persian style. I pay my bills. I stop to look at the sunset. And I’ve been thinking a good bit about what I’m going to do in the upcoming year — my 70th. I have some ideas.

You are living a rich and full life!
      Your blog attests to that fact. I will look forward to learning what you are going to do next year!

9. ShimonZ says:

I try not to ask myself too many questions. I trust you’ll choose a good path for yourself, in the tradition of your fine grandfather. What was his name?

His name was Harry Block.
    His father, Alex Block, was from Lithuania. He was a physician.
    And may I say to you Shimon that I love hearing from you, of all people!
    I think I am coming to Jerusalem next May.

11. Brig says:

I’m in a holding pattern at the moment with lawyers, bills, and all the rest of the minutia of taking care of dad, the property, and the dog.. . I’m turning 70 the middle of August, and hoping for a nice quiet few days in the mountains…

• Brig says:

PS; love your header head, you are as cute as I knew you would be!

Well. As you know, those of us in our 60’s do the best we can. I like that picture of me because I was so happy when it was taken. Thank you.

You are an amazing 70-year-old, Brig. I admire all you do. You are setting a high bar for your children and grandchildren. I wish you an early Happy Birthday and yes, some peace and quiet in the mountains.