The Gym

P1040219

by cheri

It has been 10 months since I entered a space wholly unfamiliar to me. A space where iron clanks.

I can now do ten push-ups. My biceps I can see. My triceps are another story, still hidden by flesh that believes itself to be important.

My quads will now let me sit against a wall for a minute. I can run on the treadmill for 30 minutes easily. I may be 65, but I feel 51.

I am late to the party, I realize. Many of you have worked out for years. My good friends Muni, Ken G., Bill, Cindy U., Ken B., Sharon , Ben,  Jim, Gary W., Tiffany L. and a host of other people who occasionally read this blog, have pounded the pavement, climbed the hills, walked the trails, swum the waves, pushed the pedals, and pumped the weights.

So, now I am one of you, albeit not as fit (yet).

My question: what keeps you going back to endure the pain? I think I know the answers but want to hear from you.

This entry was posted in Life and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to The Gym

1. Cindy Usedom says:

Cheri, the soreness after a workout makes me feel alive and moving forward!
    As I get older, I like the idea of tricking the system to stay as fit and youthful as possible.
    And I enjoy the working out:-) love Cindy

I like your line, “tricking the system.” Did you mean your respiratory system? Your nervous system? Which one? 🙂 Hey, you were one of the reasons I started “working out” remember?

2. bogard says:

Hi Cheri,

For me it is the indisputable evidence that resistance exercise and aerobic training are the best medicine to reverse poor life-style choices, which lead to cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, and falls (all other odd/genetic occurrences notwithstanding). This is scientific fact. Additionally, it just makes me feel more alive. Keep at it, girl. You are doing just fine. Hope you and The Judge had a great trip to France and England. Quite a time to be there!

Bill

My dear Bill,
      You have been a fitness guru all of your life. I will tell my readers that you are Dr. Bill, an esteemed professor of physical therapy (soon to be retired), so when you speak about fitness, I listen. I am doing as much resistance training as I can but hope to go 3x a week this summer. Now, we need to get the judge on this regimen. When hell freezes over…And yes, London was fabulous.

3. Tiffany Leathers says:

1. Take care of my temple because it’s the only one I got!
    2. To satisfy my sweet tooth with less guilt.
    3. To look like you when I grow up 🙂

Tiffany, how I left you off my list, I do not know. I am honored that you read my blog regularly. Wow. You are the epitome of fitness. I worship your muscles and determination (remember, we are not calling determination the same thing as being stubborn. Tee hee. Thanks for your comment. You are a beautiful grown-up woman.

4. Jim says:

Health maintenance: keeping my BP and sugar level in check w/o the need for meds. Plus not looking like some of my beer gut friends and neighbors!! 🙂

Ha!! When I saw you recently in Fremont, I almost didn’t recognize you. You look SO GOOD. As I have told my significant other, once the beer belly happens, it is tough to get rid of. Women too. I don’t know why but that belly fat just hangs on like blubber. You are to be commended. I’m sure with the fitness/weight loss, your numbers and levels have all become great. Maybe we should walk the John Muir Trail?

5. Brighid says:

I work out by living life. It’s way more cost effective.

6. Muni says:

Pain? What pain? I try to stop short of pain! I rotate the exercises I do in order not to over use one set of muscles. i.e.. swim one day, walk the next, bicycle the next.
    2. I feel better after I exercise. Calm. More peaceful
    3. I sleep better.
    4 I want to stay in shape enough to be able to do things I like to do on weekends, such as kayaking, without hurting myself.
    Still, as I have gotten older, I have had to give up jogging, skiing, surfing, basketball; some of the more strenuous exercises because that “hurt myself” looms a little larger, happens a little more frequently, lasts longer! My advice is to try to exercise every day (but if it only happens 5 days a week, accept that) and stop short of the pain!

I agree with your advice,Muni. You have always been a role model for me in that sense. No more skiing? How about paddle boarding? Should we try that?

7. Sharon says:

I exercise, because at this age, it means there is still muscle in my body:-)
    Actually, I feel so much better after exercising. It is the one thing I do for me, and walking on a beautiful day helps me sort out my thoughts and relieve my stress. While my days of running and teaching corporate fitness are gone, changing my routine to fit my schedule and age are a priority.
    I also know that like with anything else, I have to schedule it into my day, because if I don’t, it is too easy to find a reason to say, tomorrow.
    Keep it up! You look great and I know you feel better!!!

I remember when we walked the lake together last summer. You could have left me in the dust but you were very patient with your friend. Your stamina is amazing, Sharon. And not just physically!

How about an electric bicycle for transcendental exercise? At times, I am told, you feel projected into space until you see stars.

Just think of the muscles you used (bruised) evading imminent death on the roadway. You are impressive.

10. aubrey says:

I am up to 10 push-ups too – frankly, my reasons for starting with these were strictly vanity: I’m going to Las Vegas and I don’t want my arms flapping in the wind when I go sleeveless, which is de rigueur in Vegas in July.

I exercise at home, so no one will hear my yelps of distress.

I exercise to help my back and fight my sciatica.

I walk 1-2 miles a day – because I don’t drive and also to see the world: how the seasons change, listen to the birds, chase the squirrels out of the street!

I exercise because it’s good for me. I in no way enjoy them, and they’re not a large part of my life but a most necessary one.

Hi Aubrey (even though that is not really your name), thanks for your comment. I wish you well eliminating the little flaps under the arm. If you find a way to reduce those quickly, patent that exercise and let me know how you did it. Have fun in Vegas.

My ancient Wii Fit alternately hectors me and whines at me in the neediest of mechanized voices. I exercise because I’m not sure what the damn thing would do to me if I stopped. Too many Twilight Zone reruns as a child, I reckon.

12. JFB says:

Cheri: I am SO proud of you! I suspect that you have similar reasons to mine for working out. I look at it as having a better quality if life, NOT quantity. If that’s an extra benefit, then that’s great. I like the feeling of accomplishment, a little competion within yourself AND most importantly, the feeling of being alive.

Welcome to my blog, JFB. Thanks for your comment. Interesting idea that we work out for the present with an eye on the future. If you have any health/workout tips to share with my readers, please include them.