The textures of Chicago

IMG_0814

Life is texture.

We might see it if we look.

Soft, nubby, smooth, coarse, mottled, velvety, wet.

Texture abounds all around.

Sometimes, you find yourself in a place that feels cold.

When under ice, you might commune with those people in your textured life who encourage, sympathize, or cajole. Sometimes these souls provide their company without much conversation.

IMG_0813

Other times, without prompting, they meet your eyes as if to say, “Keep a stiff upper lip, kid–go forward with resolve.”

So you do!

IMG_0812

P1040662

P1040672

You stand up tall, like the Goddess Ceres, an ironclad  Deco-woman, towering above, a stunning image of clean texture and immortal strength.

She, too, reminds us all to go forward. As the Goddess of Agriculture, she whispers, “People, it’s OK to have carbs and enjoy yourself.”

P1040703

P1040709Far away from that which troubles, images and textures of fun, spirit, and life surround us, especially here in Chicago.

This entry was posted in Life, My photography and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to The textures of Chicago

1. cpartner@comcast.net says:

Beautiful Sent from XFINITY Connect Mobile App

This briiliant post set me looking for texture all around and, sure enough, there it was.

Another life-enhancing piece of writing and photography. Thank you.

3. Yang Ho says:

What would it take for an artist to take pictures of the dangerous parts of town?

I’m unsure what, exactly, you are asking. An artist could go to any number of sketchy parts of Chicago with her camera and photograph them.
      If you are asking if I did this ( or ever do), then the answer is that I prefer to stay in safer parts of any city. Although I will observe that at any time in a big city, one can be in danger.

• Christopher says:

The most dangerous parts of any big city, let alone Chicago, are the air-conditioned boardrooms inside the downtown skyscrapers, where the Rich design their dastardly plans to rob the Poor……..

• Richard says:

…….more likely those gilded palaces where dastardly Dictators order the murder of Innocents and plan conquests of peaceful neighbours. In Chicago, though, there are no such.

This post was not about class warfare, Christopher. Of course, I appreciate your readership and your comfort in expressing yourself. Unlike the intolerant liberals I know, I welcome your comments, as off topic as they sometimes are.

• Richard says:

Appetite for money becomes insatiable, Christopher. A spoonful of sugar is never enough. The more you have, the more you believe you need and the more you want. Pursuit of it becomes an object in its own right, separate from all account, even though those fortunes derive as much from good luck as anything else. Much like a gambler, the fortunes of a successful capitalist are based upon risk, some blind, some calculated, but to a large extent upon good luck.

Without the successful capitalist, however, big-time or small-time, no-one would have a living and the state would collapse. Both depend upon that success.

A capitalist’s belief, however, that his or her success exclusively provides all the benefits to society is a human failing, particularly where the initial investment was hard work and focused application rather than money. In reality, merit goes also to those who have helped the success on its way by dedicating their life and freedoms to work for it. Equally, workers conceive that an unfair share of the wealth from an enterprise goes into the pockets of those who have not worked for it: very often they are wrong on both counts.

This failure to empathise lies at the root of all disgruntlement and unrest. Ideological conflict, idleness, betrayal of true purpose, pathological compulsion for power and the will to destroy ensue.

Those of goodwill, who are the majority, seek to overcome these human failings. Consider, for example, the benevolent quaker capitalists of the industrial revolution, or the activities of some of the leaders of the digital revolution.

The progressive way, Christopher, is to harness those humanitarian instincts, and not to be ready to blame or ascribe a false motivation to those who simply want to fulfil their short existence on this Earth.

4. Brighid says:

Your photos are great,
    Chicago is a place I don’t ever care to see again. Last time we flew in for a ceremony at Great Lakes. Chicago was all around horrible, people were rude, nasty, the place was dirty, and we stayed in the better part of town. It was so outside my understanding, but then big cities don’t have much pull to me.

I am sorry you had this experience, Brighid, for although I had my wallet stolen out of my purse this trip, I still love the city. Its architecture, food, and history are enough to captivate me. This was my 5th trip there. We went to a jazz club and ate Chicago pizza. I find race relations less edgy than in New York or Atlanta. Young professionals still dress up in ties and suits. I am with you 100% concerning big cities. I’d rather be in Twin Bridges, Montana.

5. Great pictures. Have a wonderful time

I’ve been to Chicago one time. I was very young, and newly married. My family said, “Of course you will be with us for Thanksgiving dinner.” His family said, “Of course you will be with us for Thanksgiving dinner.” In a flash of what only can be called genius (unless you call it desperation) we somehow decided to go to Chicago. We stayed at the downtown Y, and had Thanksgiving dinner at a Greek restaurant that was open, and full mostly of the Greek family that owned it. I was introduced to ouzo. I did not dance, but the memories still are great. It occurs to me that memories can be textured, too.

Lovely photos, for sure!

What a great story and a perfect place for Thanksgiving albeit chilly, chilly. And yes, the pull from families about who celebrates what with whom. You two solved that dilemma with aplomb.
      Yes. I have many textured memories. Come to think of it…a poem could be written with such material.