Ayatollah Coyote

by Bunnie

I am a bunny who tends to socialize with other bunnies. We nibble the same greens and  communicate in familiar yips and nips  known only to other bunnies. P1020970

Sure, my cottontail may be rounder, my hind legs more muscular, and my nose twitchier than some of my other bunny friends’ physical attributes, but taking all minor differences aside, we still feel safe among our own.

When a coyote, snake, or roadrunner enters our countryside, we flee to safety of thickets and holes.

However, hiding in our warrens, we try our bunniest to be tolerant of those who are different (as long as they aren’t interested in eating us for dinner). Quail and small birds fall into that category.

Snakes, roadrunners, and especially coyotes present us with a major dilemma.

Despite our knowledge that our predators want to lick the marrow from our fragile bones, we still have compassion for them because, well, we are bunnies!

What is a compassionate bunny like me to do?

“For starters,” said the Snake, “stop being so damn compassionate. It will get you killed for sure. And while you consider toning down your soft-hearted response to every Kim, Dictator, and Harry, try expressing the rage you really feel instead of hip-hopping around, donating to charities that make you feel good about your freedoms.”

Gosh.

That wasn’t nice to say.

But then, you really didn’t mean it, did you? Or, did you?

P1020967

This entry was posted in Education, Life, Politics and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Ayatollah Coyote

By Fibonacci Bunny

I am a white bunnie. Some say that black and white bunnies have a lesser beauty than coloured bunnies, but it all depends upon how you look at it.

My best friend was a black bunnie. He was strong and handsome, had many wives and fathered many children. He travelled far and wide and was always quick to dive down the burrow when a hungry snake or a coyote arrived. I, on the other hand, am weak and puny. I do not travel far from the burrow and feed only on the few withered shoots that grow nearby. I would sit still, watching for Black Bunny’s warning cottontail, and I was nearly always the first down the burrow.

One day, as I sat contemplating the bunnie condition, numbers and divine purpose, Black Bunny went further than he had ever been before. He had grown so strong and confident that he supposed he might dispose of the snake for good with his fine buck teeth. Lurking behind a dark boulder, shaded from the sun and on the alert, though, waited a scheming coyote. There was a leap, a scuffle and a snap. A bundle of wriggling black fur was carried off into the distance. I never saw Black Bunny again.

Life is much tougher now. I sit closer to the burrow and have to scan around for snakes and coyotes. Would that Black Bunny had bided his time and learnt the cunning art, then he with his strength and I with my ingenuity might have travelled even further together, dug many burrows and had many more wives and descendants in a remarkable series.

I looked up Mr. Fibonacci and would like to know why your bunny-author takes his name.

I loved your fable and its relation to mine. I fear, though, I might have missed part of this fable’s moral. Would Fibonacci Bunny be willing to add some interpretation?

• Richard says:

It is about the struggle of reason and civilisation against primitive savagery and barbarism, both in ourselves and others. Measured courage, reason and civilised conduct prevail in the end. Poor Black Bunny got ahead of himself and lost everything.

As Fibonacci Bunny’s great ancestor knew, rabbits left in perfect peace will increase in a sequence which, from one generation to the next approaches the golden ratio.

0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21……….
        Perfect peace

2. ShimonZ says:

I like your Bunny. Very sweet… very innocent… would love to meet him or her.

Innocence…songs, poems, short stories, and novels have been written to cherish such a state…I understand why you like Bunnie, but she is doomed if all in her warren do not wake up.

3. potsoc says:

Well, well, my friend Cherylan on the war path. I agree that a nice little war, in Africa and the near east of course, would lift our economies out of the doldrums and enrich Haliburton and company. Just the remedy we need and just what DAESCH wishes since they are a creation of ours through our blunders over the years and our financing of the wrong guys ever since Russia invaded Iraq in 1979. Note that I wrote “ours” since Canada had a part in all that…and its to late for us to backtrack. Trump will put the boots back there, don’t worry…but then, I’m just an old fool.

4. Brighid says:

Both bunnies and coyotes are part of his plan. Be brave!

Hard to believe that the murder of six million in Nazi Germany was part of any plan…I fear we are dealing with the same evil.

• Brighid says:

I misinterpreted your post. Yes, there are none so blind as those who will not see…
        I too fear that there are those who have become so complacent that history will be allowed to repeat it’s self. Too many have drank of the fountain of kool-aid. +1 for Christopher’s comments.

As a Bunny like you, I read with great interest what you had to say. You seem like you’re not entirely happy with your life in what sounds like my own land of the Kingdom of the Lions.

I’ll share with you that, until quite recently, I, as a Bunny, felt happy and secure, here in the Kingdom of the Lions – the Indispensable Kingdom, whose denizens, like you and me, are the Exceptional Animals, no matter what sort of animal we are – Lion, Bunny, or anything else.

Also, until quite recently, I have felt happy in the belief that the Kingdom of the Lions – led by our rulers, the Lions – was spreading peacefully to the animals of other lands, the Freedom and Democracy that I supposedly enjoy.

Now, I’m learning that, led by our rulers the Lions, the Kingdom of the Lions – our Kingdom, remember – is clandestinely taking over and pillaging the natural bounty of these other lands, although under the guise of Freedom and Democracy.

The result is now Carnage and Death on a huge scale, for the animals of these other lands are not taking kindly to our Lions trying to take them over and pillaging their lands.

Should it be a surprise, then, that the animals of these other lands now hate us in the Kingdom of the Lions, as never before?

No longer satisfied with taking over and pillaging the bounty of other lands, our leaders the Lions, are now doing the same to us, here at home in the Kingdom of the Lions. We, the non-Lions, are being pushed more and more to the margins of our cities and forests. I, as a Bunny, am feeling more and more an outcast.

Oddly, though, most other non-Lions I speak with nowadays – be they Coyotes, Snakes, Roadrunners, or fellow Bunnies – seem not to understand anything I say when I say the sorts of things I’ve laid out in this comment.

I think, though, that their non-understanding is intentional, for the things I tell them go against everything they”ll have been brainwashed into believing about the Kingdom of the Lions since they were little. What I say therefore goes against their Belief Systems, which – as all intelligent Bunnies will know – will be an integral part of who they think they are.

So that if you try to attack another animal’s Belief System, he will act like you’re attacking him personally, and he’ll therefore defend to the death that Belief System. Therefore, if you, too, my fellow Bunny, intentionally don’t understand anything I’ve said, I do understand. Trust me.

Allow me, nonetheless, to draw your attention to something you said, which was: “……When a coyote, snake, or roadrunner enters our countryside, we flee to safety of thickets and holes……”.

By fleeing thus, because you see the see the Coyote, Snake, and Roadrunner as your enemy, you do exactly what our rulers, the Lions, want us non-Lions to do. They want to divide us, the better to rule us………

Well, your fable takes the opposite approach as mine but I like your method and symbolism. Well done!
      What is the moral of your fable?

I am going to post the comments of one of my readers from the post I wrote in November titled Fact-Checker in the Atmosphere.

He said, “What a great piece; really. I recall with clarity (or as much as the memory affords) seeing a Holocaust survivor interviewed maybe 30 years ago, and I’ve never forgot the chilling accuracy of his statement:

When people say they want to kill you, believe them.

Notions that if we are just kinder/better/more understanding, the fanatics of the world will change, is just magical, delusional, dangerous thinking. Reading a great book now on the period 1933-39 in Europe; all the wasted opportunities to stop it all, to save themselves and others, wasted on squabbling at the margins about the petty.

And that’s exactly where we are again. There is more, and worse, coming, and we do nothing…”

This isn’t directly related to your post, but I read it, read it again, and thought of it when I read about your bunny. So, I thought I’d mention it.

Beyond that, I couldn’t help thinking of Al Wilson’s song about the snake. I hadn’t listened to it in years, until the lyrics hit the news recently. I just listened to it again, and I’d say the relevance is obvious.

I enjoyed reading the post on the Quillette blog, Linda. Thanks for sending it my way. However, I have lost my patience listening to all points of view and trying to be respectful. The stern winds of warning have been blowing for the last 15 years. Will the center hold? Our leaders (and those in the EU) are the Hollow Men…I yearn for Churchill. Thanks, as always, for your comments which are rich and educational. How you do it, I do not know.

The Nazi threat was barbarous and primitive and an existential threat, foreseen by Churchill. He was branded a warmonger and his views largely dismissed.

The threat was far greater than that under discussion, with this difference: the source was confined and easily identifiable. Technological advances in communications have caused a dissipation and a distortion that divides us and confuses our attempts to identify an enemy – for an enemy there most surely is. Is it a person? Is it a political party? Is it fundamentalism, is it anarchism? Is it religion or lack of it? Is it racial? Is it revolutionaries, violent or otherwise? Is it expansionism? Is it mass delusion? Is it within or without? Is it cowardice? Is it iegalitarianism? Is it some combination that appeals too all these and so the more difficult? Is it something else altogether?

There is time to pause and think for surer answers to establish international law and order, if we are allowed to by the factions that have so promptly arisen. The means are available.

“….For the mind longs to spring up to positions of higher generality, that it may find rest there….”
    (Francis Bacon, Novum Organum, 1620)

Thank you for your measured response, always appreciated here on this blog. I just do not hear or see any leaders. I have no confidence in the people we entrust to look out for our best interests. They are often twits. Look at Greece’s PM. Good God. Look at the US President…traveling from late night talk show to talk show…a cavalier showboat with vacuous knowledge of history. Look at the leaders of the EU…

OK…I’ll try to find rest in Mr. Bacon’s positions of higher generality.

I regret I have not made myself clear. I did not mean to appeal for us to rest … nor did Bacon. Vigilance is essential. At the same time we are not to abandon the culture and decency the generations have taught us.

It is wasteful of resources and dangerous to assume the true target is in our sights. To do so is to …. spring to a greater generality … we have to pause to get it right. We cannot, for instance, take on the whole of Islam, it just is not practical and in any event it is wrong to do so. Your fable says as much.

As to the self-destructive ambitions of the current and potential leaders, their pursuit of power and their courting of popular prejudice – barely better than those more clearly opposed to the values and way of life the vast majority of us wish to maintain – we simply hope that someone up to the job will emerge.

Thank you,Richard. My fable is titled “Ayatollah Coyote ” and I direct the moral not to the whole of Islam (although I have many problems understanding the reticence Muslims have about steadfastly and loudly condemning all terror attacks), but rather to Iran and its vicious government backed by years of of Fundamentalist Ayatollahs. I am steaming about the Iran Nuclear Deal which is like signing a peace treaty with Putin. Give me a break.

Today, the President of Iran is in Europe. The Italian President is very happy to do business with Iran now that sanctions are lifting. Rouhani is on his way to France. It sickens me.

Bunnie wrote this fable, not Cheri. My fable would have taken a different route…

• Richard says:

I assure you that I did not gather that Bunnie’s multi-faceted fable was against Islam as a wholle. I’m sorry I seemed to suggest this.

Rouhani did not deign to sign Obama’s empty deal. Nor did the coyote who runs the country. I agree with you and hoped that at one level Fibonacci Bunny’s fable said so.

The discussion simply led to the implicit wider issues that are so closely associated.

• Richard says:

Tell me why the Italians hid from their honoured guest the naked statues on the Palatine Hill as if his purity might be offended more than the machinations and abuses of his own country might offend ours.

And this at a time when we especially remember the murder and sufferings of millions, the naked horror of which the whole of Europe is reportedly dedicated to expose and never repeat.

” …. In these instances also we must use caution and check the hurry of understanding. For whatever displays the Form too conspicuously, and seems to force it on the notice of the understanding, should be held suspect…” ibid

Yes, Bacon addresses scientific method, but his observations are applicable to all human endeavour.