Workaround

Italian pigeon brothers Giorgio and Luigi in San Gimignano, Italy

Italian pigeon brothers Giorgio and Luigi in San Gimignano, Italy

Luigi: Mi piace come mi sento sicuro dietro a queste punte di metallo!

I love how secure I feel behind these metal spikes!

Giorgio: Posso prudere le mie penne della coda così facilmente ora.

I can itch my tail feathers so easily now!

Luigi: Non importa quali ostacoli questi umani eretti, noi piccioni possono trovare il modo  intorno a loro.

No matter what obstacles these humans erect, we pigeons can find a way                  around    them.

Giorgi0: La maggior parte delle persone non si rendono conto di quanto siamo intelligenti … veramente.

Most people do not realize how smart we are–truly.

P1000086

This entry was posted in Life, My photography and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Workaround

1. potsoc says:

When there’s a will, there’s a way.

I hope, for your sake, you didn’t use Google Translate, which, all to often, comes out with very bizarre translations.

I’m sure my friends in Italy will alert me if I have butchered the language. You get the picture, though, don’t you?

• Richard says:

Around here they speak pidgin English.

• Christopher says:

I put it to you that, arguably, the English spoken by all its speakers is pidgin, given that English has many of the characteristics of a pidgin.

Consider only its lack of noun genders and noun cases, and that its verb endings vary relatively little, and that you just add “s” to a noun to make it a plural, and that when you speak to anyone, “you” suffices, whether or not the speakee be an adult, child, stranger, or an intimate.

What is the definition of “pidgin” English?

• Richard says:

See my reply to Christopher.
          Pigeons were used as messengers in the two wars. In WW2 they were trained to home on Bletchley Park. Unbelievable, but true.
          It is gratifying to see that in Italy they are provided with the security they deserve.

• Richard says:

In Slovenia there are calls to remove the barriers on avian grounds.

• Christopher says:

An example of “pigeon” English might be, “coooeee”, which used to be what you (if female) said to a friend (usually female too) when you wished to get her attention.

As for “pidgin” English, a definition I’ve unearthed, is “……a pidgin in which the chief language is English, used originally between Chinese people and Europeans…….”

Examples of such exchanges are best left to the imagination.

I got a kick out of your pigeon pics. I have a flock that harasses me from time to time: although I started it, by putting out shelled sunflower seeds for the doves.

What really tickles me is this: I don’t speak Italian, and I don’t understand Italian. But, Luigi’s first two words reminded me of one of my favorite Pink Martini songs — a rendition of Tuca, Tuca, whose lyrics begin:

Mi piaci, ah-ah!,
    Mi piaci, ah-ah-ah!,
    Mi piaci, tanto, tanto, ah!,
    Sembra incredibile ma sono cotta di te.

I’m sure I sent this along to you while you were traveling, but a repost doesn’t hurt.

Ha! Your comment and link gave me a warm fuzzy feeling. At our home in AZ, they have a strict NO FEEDING Birds law, so just to be contrary, I scattered some grain for my growing little quail family. They have this rule because of the pigeons…we had to put a pigeon-deterrent system on our roof because they were nesting there…

Pigeons are adapters and survivors, which is the sum total of nice things I’m willing to say about them.

Yes. I agree. See the above comment. We paid 600.00 for a pigeon deterrent system in Arizona. Every time we visit, and drive up to the house, there they are—pigeons on the roof. That was the reason for my post.

5. Brighid says:

One small town I lived in had a terrible pigeon problem. The city fathers put a $2 per pigeon bounty on them. Presto change O, pigeon population controlled and the food didn’t taste any different at the Chinese restaurant.

Ha! Ha! They did the same for nutria down in Louisiana.