Shall we all get in better shape?

P1000881by cheri

You will forgive me. Although I have not taught since the fall of 2014, teaching for me is an involuntary reflex.

I’ve just returned from my cardio-exercise in preparation for my first training session tomorrow. I’ve been trying to do one push-up here at home (with no success yet). My lunges have produced a sore knee.

However, despite those deficits, I want to share with you what I  learned today.

Many of my readers already know how out-of-shape I am, up close and personal. Ken G. helped pick me up and move me to the side of the trail on the way up Camelback Mountain in Phoenix, Arizona, several years ago when I became dehydrated. My childhood friend, Bill, now a Ph.D in physical therapy and university professor, has kindly remained mute when I tell him about my sore hip or sacroiliac joint. Muni  is one of my doctors (and friends) who knows my chart intimately.  My cousin, Jan, could feel my flabby arms when she hugged me (almost to death) on Monday. The Judge, my husband, knows from, well, let’s just say he knows.

Whether you are in your seventies and sedentary, or in your eighties and frenetic, whether you are overweight, underweight, full of willpower or absent of willpower, whether you have great self-esteem or weak self-esteem–you can still do something to improve your physical health. Right?

So, here is what I learned today:

1. iPhones have not helped a nation’s posture. Most of us are looking down and not up. Most of us are on the balls of our feet, not our heels. Try rocking back on your heels and see what happens to your posture.

2. Your visceral fat index is the most important statistic. Luckily, mine was very good (which ameliorated my push-up humiliation). Visceral fat is the fat that surrounds your organs, the most dangerous of all. I learned that I am 26% fat, 28% muscle, and .7 % full of visceral fat. Those numbers ,along with my age, height, weight, and other data ( my lipstick color and shoe brand) were centrifuged. My goal is to be 23% fat and 34% muscle.

Now for the teaching part:

If you would like to join me on a  self-imposed health regimen of your choosing, perhaps we can cheer each other on.

Linda, who writes a dandy blog, and I are checking back with each other in a month. Kayti may hire a personal trainer, maybe. She writes a splendid blog.

After all the word “blog” means web log, right? Maybe you might want to weigh in…

As you can see from the picture, we all have people in our lives who are depending on us to be the best we can.

This entry was posted in Education, Life, People and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Shall we all get in better shape?

You want inspiration? Listen to this…. One of my best friends had a stroke, about three years ago. She was coming back from it pretty well, when she tripped running after her dog. She broke her left arm, and completely smashed up her right knee. She had three surgeries. She had skin grafts. She was in rehab six months.

She got out of “The Joint,” as she called it, started rehabbing at home, and then engaged a personal trainer. She’s back to driving, walking without a cane, has a cholesterol count that’s the envy of us all, and has regained her strength generally.

She just turned 81.

Thank you for sharing a truly inspirational story. Maybe you ought to write about her. Maybe you did. I love people like this. My mother was just like your friend.

2. Brighid says:

I really don’t think I want to do this… because my friends that are gym rats, runners, speed walkers, etc… were doing fine til they started that stuff. Now they are on speed dial to chiropractors, pharmacies, orthopedic surgeons, and drinking copious amounts of healing waters (code for wine)….
    I’m in (she whispered) at least for the healing waters…

Good point, Brighid! I’m sure many people do injure themselves or overdo it. I will not be overdoing it…that’s for sure. You have strength; I am positive about that. Shooting a gun, building fences, launching boats…You should only need the wine. 🙂

Why, I’m carrying the same 165 pounds I did in high school. Granted, some of them have married and started families…

5. bogard says:

Bill is mute no longer. Bravo, Cheri!! The evidence is overwhelming that exercise, especially resistance training, is essential to preventing disease and disability in older adults (>60), e.g. falls prevention and type 2 diabetes, just to name two. (This is certainly not to diminish the importance of aerobic exercise or diet/nutrtion). I won’t bore you with the details. Just git ‘er done!! And remember, the body needs to rest/recover between bouts of exercise. So, you go, girl!! And encourage the Judge as well.

Thanks Bill! I love hearing from you way down there in the South. I am in that rest/recover mode today…thank God. I miss seeing you.

7. Joyce W. says:

Thanks for reminding me to put my health first. Though I can’t say for sure that I will be able to follow through with the “regimen,” don’t they say the first step is to admit there is a problem? 🙂 I will keep a mental note about the importance of finding ways to be heart healthy and your progress will be my encouragement!

Happy Birthday to you! And with all of those important people who depend on you, yes! Staying healthy must be a priority. And don’t forget—shoes are a priority too. 🙂