Morning melodrama

by cheri sabraw

My heart is beating but my pace is offline.

I should be in the shower, the hot water pounding my  muscles into leaner and friskier flesh not unlike tenderizing a brisket.

My coffee is ice cold; the house still shivers in  its early morning chill, unable to heat itself.

The beep-beep-beep of the computer’s battery, purchased to alleviate power-surges, drones on. I stare at it under the desk, gray and mechanical, reminding me in syncopated rhythm how mechanized I have become.

I’m trapped here.

The garage doors will not open.

The generator, in an irony of ironies, has a dead battery. As I fiddled, it winked at me in my robe as I feverishly tried to manipulate its buttons. My god, I can’t check my e-mail!!

Strangely, I feel peaceful, unable to open my gate, dry my hair, and ready myself for the day.

The little creek babbles; the blue jays screech, the bulls across the road growl at their cows; a squirrel darts by my window; the dog snores under my feet.

The power is out.

This entry was posted in Life and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Morning melodrama

I read recently an interview with the novelist James Ellroy, who, in his mind, lives permanently in the Los Angeles of the 1940s, in which he sets all his novels.

In this interview he said in part: “…….I have no television. I have no VCR. I don’t watch the news. I don’t listen to the radio or read newspapers. I largely ignore the world today. I live almost completely and very happily within my imagination……..”

This could have been me talking. Were I, for instance, in a fit of madness, to again acquire a television, I would have to sign up for a course in how to operate it.

Take it from me (and I assume James Ellroy, too) you can dispense with almost all the electronic bumf you have, and still find happiness.

I had no idea that you had sworn off the television. Good for you. We rarely watch TV. I do watch old movies on TCM and we both watch golf on the Golf Channel. Those shows and Antiques Roadshow about covers our television viewing.

Your bit about James Ellroy is intriguing…the part about his living in the 40’s in his mind. I’m not sure what to make of his decision.

If you were a Lakota, your name would be Little Creek.

OK. I realize I do babble, so the name fits. I’m small, I drink lots of water, and my bones are starting to creak. That is where the comparison ends. Your wit is only exceeded by your darts.

At one point, and not that long ago, we had “work-arounds”, manual processes to get things done if the power or the network went pfffft on us, but that day seems to have come and gone, and woe unto all of us when the grid decides to be fickle.

Pacific, Gas, and Electric rectified and then electrified the circuits citing a “foreign object” as the problem. That usually means a bird met its end on a power pole.

It’s the electronic version of my childhood’s snow days. Enforced idleness. Of course, now we’re adults, not children, and things are a little more complicated. But only a bit.

Just out of curiosity, was your power outage quake related? I can’t imagine that it was, since this mornings little swarm was only in the 3+ range. I suppose you’d barely feel that, actually, but that’s seems like a lot of activity on the Concord fault. In any event, I hope you’re all powered up by now, and if you’re not, that you’re enjoying the birds, the creek, and the dog.

Oh yes, Linda, snow days. Ours were at Tahoe. We kids would delight when the snow started falling, making Interstate 80 impassable. No school! Just a fire, hot chocolate, real breakfasts,and games.

No, we did not feel an earthquake today on the Hayward Fault line, on which our house is built. I mean right on the fault. Anyway, as I replied to wk, it was more than likely a bird which flew onto a pole up here, fried itself, and shorted everything out. This is a small event.

Seven years ago on New Year’s Eve ( I was planning a party ), a storm sent one of our very old redwood trees down, over the power line that supplies power to us and most of our rural neighbors. The crash was so dramatic, that both poles were ripped from the ground when the tree fell. We were without power (and in those days, no generator) for five days. We had too many animals, so we stayed.

I had my party since I’d bought expensive crab and made a special dip. I remember the crab was 21.00 a pound. We lit candles, pried open our electric gate, and rang in the New Year. We imbibed to keep warm!

5. Brighid says:

We spent three years on one ranch with only a diesel generator for power, and then we could only run it for short periods of time. When the generator broke down, we took baths in a spring fed horse trough. It was an adventure.
    I haven’t had a TV in years, don’t miss it. Dad’s TV goes about 24/7 so if I really want to watch I can.

Wow. Your adventure off the grid sounds, well, adventurous. I could never do that, Brighid. I admire your pluck! I watch almost zero television except Antiques Roadshow! What an antique I am becoming…Thanks for the comment.