Turquoise turkey

by cheri sabraw

Something remarkable happened on Tuesday at the Rancho.

Beauty arrived in his mythological chariot and landed among the Beasts.

IMG_3651

Was Flannery O’Connor sending a symbol? A Displaced Person? A Religious symbol? A Jungian sage?

IMG_3658

I could not believe my eyes as they beheld one of the most elegant creatures ever Designed!

IMG_3660Upon His arrival, the usual Turkey Trot was on.

Males fanning, females running for cover, scratching and pecking, strutting and fleeing. What a raucous ruckus on the Rancho!

And then, a child’s scream. A shrill announcement to the Thanksgiving army!

IMG_3663Surely Beauty and the Beast! Elegance par Excellence meets Your Regular Joe Tom.

IMG_3667

Where this peacock came from, I will never know. Ethereal. Gone.

His Beauty made all of the ugliness in the News vanish if only for a moment.

This entry was posted in Life and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Turquoise turkey

1. Muni Barash says:

Magic at the Rancho! Smoke and mirrors! Are you kidding me? By the way, you got a great photo. Muni >

2. cpartner@comcast.net says:

I believe that Peacock was Dad. No doubt about it. Saying hello to you and giving you a big sign from his alternate universe. I have the chills thinking about it. He never arrived without a show! You lucky girl you! Love, Cindy

I like your description, Sis. “Alternate Universe”–what a cool way to think about death.
      Dad? I don’t believe in reincarnation but the image of Dad strutting around the property tickles me.

3. Gorgeousness comes when one least expects it! Happy Valentine’s Day, Cheri. http://maryjanebrant.squarespace.com/are-you-laughing-with-the-sinn/

4. lindamomof4 says:

Love it

Sent from my iPhone

I was working on a boat behind a house on a canal once. In the middle of the afternoon, I heard the most terrible screams. I called the owner of the house/boat, saying, “I think there’s something awful happening in your neighborhood.” He just laughed and said, “Heard the peacocks, huh?”

This is an amazing visitation — lucky you! I never saw “my” peacocks, but I found two feathers, which I still have. Have you ever seen a white one? Oh, my gosh, they are gorgeous. I think they’re maybe prettier than the blue.

And I laughed at your Flannery O’Connor reference. If the next time around you get a backwards-walking chicken, we’ll know it was her.

I have never seen a white peacock feather, Linda. The “Displaced Person” was a reference to her short story with that title in which peacocks figure prominently.

6. Brighid says:

Pea Fowl or as we say Pea Foul… ugh they dig up the garden, fly up in the trees, poop everywhere, scream when you least expect it. There were many on one of the ranches as the owners “City Folk” brought them on to the property, err estate, because they were such beautiful birds. Pretty is as pretty does.. No Thanks.

This recently-discovered manuscript may explain the appearance of the peacock to the nonplussed turkey who lives on the hill.

The Owl and the Pussycat danced away
    By the light of a super-moon.
    They took the honey and some of the money
    – The shilling they spent far too soon.
    The Owl looked under the stars above
    To his home, which lay now so afar,
    “O lovely Pussy! O Pussy, my love,
    Still a beautiful Pussy you are,
    You are,
    You are,
    Still a beautiful Pussy you are.”

Pussy said to the Owl, “you elegant fowl,
    How charmingly sweet you still sing,
    But now we are married (perhaps we were harried)
    Where to live, now that is the thing.”
    They sailed again for a year and a day
    To the land where the money-tree grows
    And in a small room for a day until doom
    Hocked a nest in the cat-basket boom,
    Basket boom,
    Basket boom,
    Hocked a nest in the cat-basket boom.

“Dear Owl, are you ready, now we are so steady,
    For an egg?” Said the Owl “Yes I am.”
    They had it away, and the very next day
    Laid an egg with quince jelly (or jam).
    They used up the honey, and all of the money,
    Which they’d kept in their pea-green boat,
    And hand-in-hand, by the ocean grand,
    Hatched a Pea-cock there in the sand,
    The sand,
    The sand,
    Hatched a Pea-cock there in the sand.