Queen Joan of Ours

Princess Joan 1935, Dallas, Texas

Princess Joan
1935, Dallas, Texas

This Morning is quiet on the Rancho.

Oddly, the turkeys and their racket are absent.

A light wind flutters the oak leaves, so laden with acorns. My dear sycamores rustle; the creek dribbles with sympathy.

Light is still off on the eastern horizon; is it possible for this dawn to linger longer?

Queen Joan is dead.

Her legacy—for all who had the great good fortune to know her—is one of courage, resiliency, and gratitude.

Her approach to life in the face of adversity rivals the testaments of the great men and women whose stories color the biblical canons of human record.

May we all be inspired by her example.

Long live the memory of Queen Joan!

This entry was posted in Life, People, The Dragon in the Lobby: a fairytale about Assisted Living and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Queen Joan of Ours

1. Dan OBrien says:

I send you sincere condolences from the the Great Mojave Desert.

Dear Dan,
      My mother loved the desert so thank you! I feel the stillness of the desert too, a stillness that belies the activity in the sand.

2. Suzanne Snow says:

So sorry to hear this news, Cheri. Ray and I are thinking of you and all of your family. Love, Suzie

My deepest sympathies, dearest Cheri. From what you have written about her, she was clearly a formidable woman in the best sense of the word; if you were the sum and total of her legacy, it would be considerable, indeed.

4. Brighid says:

Her legacy will live on, and for that we are all blessed. Peace be with you and your family

Dear Brighid,
      Thank you for your generous thoughts. You know well what it is like to spend time with an aged parent. I’m grateful that I was able to be with my mother in these last precious days.

5. Glenys and Richard says:

A lovely tribute to a wonderful woman.

Our thoughts are with you at this time.

Thank you for your thoughts from across the pond! My mother never made it to England but they met some good friends from London on a trip who came to the US. My father and mother took them all around and planned their trip. Because of my father’s death and my mother’s menigitis, the reciprocal trip wasn’t possible.

6. Jan Cole says:

Dearest Cheri, Your writings about my precious Aunt Joanie are so moving. I am captivated and brought to tears w thoughts of what an amazing woman she was & what we have all lost. I have never known a kinder, sweeter, gentler or stronger soul & I am honored to have called her my “auntie”. My thoughts & prayers are with you all.

Dear Jan,
      My mother adored you! Your laugh, your generosity–you are a lot like Joan. Thank you for expressing such kind thoughts publicly. I love you.

7. George and Juliet Joson says:

We are so saddened by your Mom’s death. She was a precious lady with a ready smile, warm and funny. She will always be remembered by us and remain in our hearts and will surely be missed.. Our sympathy goes to your family. God bless.

Dear George and Juliet,
      Thank you for expressing such lovely thoughts about Queen Joan. She loved seeing you both, especially in Pebble Creek! You always made an effort toward my mother, something I have never forgotten. Love back to you.

8. lindamomof4 says:

I am so sorry for you all. But queen Joan was such a lovely person. Our world is just a bit dimmer! What a blessing to have had her as a Mom! Sending hugs to you and yours. Linda

Sent from my iPhone

9. This is how it feels to lose your best friend. Queen Joan lives in 70 years of memories. Too many to list, but maybe enough to last my lifetime. We visited Hughie.

Thank you for your phone calls today. My phone didn’t announce any of these calls until it hiccuped about 1 hour ago.
      Thanks for visiting Hughie. His little Josie will soon be there right next to him.

Cheri, I remember what it was like to lose my mother, my treasure. While I haven’t known you long, and know almost nothing about your mother. I do understand how precious those last days must have been. My best to you and your family in the days to come.

Hi Linda,
      Thank you so much for your condolences. Joan was larger than the difficult life she had. Our memories are precious. You are right; they are our treasures. I like that image. Thank you.

11. ines says:

Dear Cheri, your first lines brought to mind W. H Auden poem “Stop all the clocks…” It is so hard to think that life goes on as usual when one of the most central figures in your life is gone. As I always tell you, we are both so lucky to have extraordinary women as our mothers! We can only aspire to the grace and strength that they have showed us through the years! I feel privileged to have known your mom and if there is any public service planned I would love to be part of it. If not ,know that you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers in the days to come. Love Ines

Well my intellectual friend. You knew you would get my attention with lines from Auden!
      We have (had) marvelous outstanding mothers who have been role models for womanhood and grace, despite the harsh and crass way that modern women often present themselves. Thank you for your loving (and literary) comments.

My very sincere condolences on the passing of your mother.

In all you wrote about her in your various postings, you made her come alive for me, and I’m sure also for your other readers, who never met her.

My thoughts are with you at this very sad time in your life.

Dearest Christopher,
      I believe you and I go back further than any other people who have ever commented on my blog! I’m surprised you still put up with all of my words…those same sappy symbols and word choices. Thank you for your dearness.
      If I was able to make Joan come alive for you, then I achieved my purpose.

Although she was my mother, she was much more than that and for so many others too.
      As one nephew wrote me today from Germany, Joanie was always interested in what others were doing. She was the most self-effacing person I ever met.

I greatly appreciate your sentiments at this time, Christopher.

13. T E Stazyk says:

Deepest condolences. Hope you are well.

Thank you, Tom. I want to plant (or sponsor) a tree in New Zealand. If there is one next to my father’s tree, that would be lovely. Please send me the link (again).
      I am well.

14. bogard says:

Hi Cheri,
    Our sincere condolences to you and your family on the passing of your mom. She was a truly triumphant and magnificent person. She was always a joy to be with and I will never forget those times. Her legacy will live on.
    Love to you and your family. Talk to you soon.
    Bill and Paulette

Dear Bill and Paulette,
    Thank you for this sweet note from the Deep South and for your thoughtful phone call. Hearing your voice, one from the times in our lives when innocence was still a possibility, cheered me.