Dimension

by cheri sabraw

Oh Swallowtail!

Oh Swallowtail!

IMG_3115

Did the cotton candy clouds drop you from butterfly heaven?

Did the cotton candy clouds drop you from butterfly heaven?

This entry was posted in My photography and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Dimension

And you have yellow lantana, too. It’s such a beautiful plant, and there’s no question your butterfly appreciates it. I’d never seen a yellow swallowtail until this past year. I thought they always were blue and black.

Your clouds look exactly like good cotton candy: the kind that’s spun fresh and is lighter than air. I was going to buy some when I went to the circus a couple of years ago, but it all was prepackaged and ghastly colors. I’m not sure where to find good cotton candy these days. I guess your clouds will have to do.

• Ladybugg says:

When I was a young girl in the 50’s, Swallowtails and Monarchs flew around our backyard like blown sycamore leaves in a light wind. In those days, I had a butterfly net (hence my tag, Nabokov, a lepidopterist) and ruthless caught butterflies all summer. My dad and I mounted them and put them in a frame. Oh, I regret doing that! When this stunning swallowtail flew onto my patio, I ran to get my camera. You are right about the lantana and that seemed to be what the butterfly was after. She stayed quite awhile in butterfly time, flitting from flower to flower.

The cotton candy at the fair you recall is the same type that I remember: the maker would take a hollow white rocket-shaped tube and swirl it around a metal drum full of sugar. To me, it looked like pink fluffy spidery webs and around and around it would go. When finished, the enormous sugary mass looked airy and delicious. My father would only let each of us have several bites. He was a dentist and told us over and over we were sucking on pure sugar.

When done, our tongues stained and cheeks tarnished, we complained that he wasn’t fair.

A picture says more than 1,000 words. Three pictures say more than … hold on … looking for my calculator … ah, here we go … just a sec … got it … more than 3,000 words. Wow. That’s a pretty long post.

• Ladybugg says:

I know. That last picture caused a deep scroll-down, but that was just how big those clouds seemed several weeks ago. When the sun sets in the west (just got that one back down after my confusion in Scotland when it appeared to set in the east) on a hot August night, it colors the clouds that pinkish-orange color that I love.

3. Oh swallowtail would make a nice painting just as it is. The cotton candy clouds are lovely. The real thing is too sticky!

Sometimes I would like to wrap myself in a cocoon, change completely, fly away, mate and die.

5. bogard says:

Ah, the butterfly lady will be very proud of you!! Beautiful!! Very similar to the eastern tiger swallowtail we have here in AL. Cheers!

6. Ladybugg says:

I bet she will! That butterfly was a big one! You just don’t see them here anymore. 😦