Doting on Scottish dots

by cheri

“You are more than the Earth, though you are such a dot!
You can love and think, and the Earth cannot!”

by William Brighty Rands, British poet

IMG_5476

The Scottish Borders filled with wool dots.

IMG_5431

Edinburgh filled with people dots.

This entry was posted in My photography and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Doting on Scottish dots

1. Brighid says:

Tis nay true… just look upon Mother Nature…

….And did those feet in ancient time
    Walk upon Scotland’s mountains green?
    And was the holy Lamb of God
    On Scotland’s pleasant pastures seen……?

“And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.”

“…And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And the evening and the morning were the third day…”

“…And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good…”

“…And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth…”
    [Genesis, Chapter 1]

Hmmm…

“…though every great prospect pleases, And only man is vile… “ [Reginald Heber, Missionary Hymn]

It is worth remembering here that the Highland clearances occurred because the Scottish landowners wanted to make way for sheep. The crofters were literally driven out and expected to make a living on the sea shore. Hence the depopulation. Many, as you know, ended up in the New World.

• Ladybugg says:

Before I came to the U.K., I had no idea what crofters were. After returning to the New World, I’d rather be living in the Old World. What a crass society we have here now.

The very first metaphor I can remember creating was the result of seeing cattle from the back seat of my parents’ car. They were scattered through the hillsides just as your sheep are scattered, and I thought, “They look like punctuation marks in the sentences of the hills.”

But you’ve brought back another memory, even more fun. Did you ever have one of those “connect the dots” books? In some of them, the dots were numbered, so you knew how to connect them and make the picture. In others, harder, there weren’t any numbers. It was best to do those in pencil.

• Ladybugg says:

You, Shoreacres, have a fertile memory! That you can recall so many precise and vivid memories from your brain–memories that happened decades ago, is a testament to the specificity in your writing.

And yes, I had a number of connect the dots books. My problem (which if my parents could comment now) was that I was often a little independent renegade, refusing to draw a straight line from #1-#2.

6. bogard says:

Nothing philosophical to say, so, what about the distilleries??!! Scotland is on my bucket list: golf, scotch (preferrably Islay) and landscape, plus some tweed on the side. Hope you are having (had) a fantastic trip!