So, how’s your day going so far?

by cheri sabraw

220px-Ratte-Vache

Walking into Crown Drugstore in the Glenmoor Gardens Shopping Center in 1960 with two large hooded rats, Pixie and Dixie on my shoulders, I looked at the pharmacist, who would ask me, Hi Cheri, how are you today?

I would reply, fine thanks. I’m here to pick up some Pepto Bismol for my mother.

That was it. Hi Cheri, how are you?

Today, greeting total strangers has taken on a new and twisted meaning. We are no longer customers at Target Stores. We are guests. At Sephora Stores, we are now clients.

At the bankk yesterday, an adorable male teller who looked as if he were twelve, took my deposit and asked me, how is your day going so far? How was your Thanksgiving dinner?

I’m tempted to tell the truth to these young knights, gallantly uttering mannerly sentences as they lay their capes over the banking or retail mud, the truth about how my day is really going or how my Thanksgiving dinner really was. Poor kids. They are just following their script.

Well, my day has been worse than the worst diarrhea you have ever had! I caught my heel in my hem of my Ann Taylor pencil skirt and fell out of my car over at Starbucks. Then, bleeding knees and wounded ego, I limped into Safeway to buy some bandages. There, I dropped a jar of Clausen’s Kosher Dill Pickles right in front of the cute Pleasanton firemen that were shopping. The glass shattered and as I tried to hop-scotch through the mess, I slipped and landed on the shards.

That is how my day is going so far. Would you like to know more?

Charlie Brown face looks back at me with that mouth that is a zig-zag line.

I am not a damsel in distress–just a rather private person who is not interested in revealing how my day is going or how my Thanksgiving was to kids who really do not care but who are doing their level best to accommodate their HR departments.

Are we really guests at Target? Clients at a make-up store?

Pixie and Dixie, what do you boys think?

This entry was posted in Life, My childhood and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to So, how’s your day going so far?

1. The Cats Meow says:

Sorry your day was so terrible.

Thanks for your comment but you missed the point of this post!

3. Dan O'Brien says:

Want real frustration go to a Verizon Wireless store…..

4. Brighid says:

Want to realllly be frustrated go to WallyMart. I was tried very hard to channel my sweet little ol ladyness, but geez….. I came this close = to smacking an associate or whatever they call them, yesterday.

Are these young salespeople being any more insincere than are any of us who engage in pleasant but boring small talk with people we have nothing in common with? (think only any social occasion).

6. T E Stazyk says:

We are not clients. And they are not associates!

I was in your neighbourhood yesterday–flying back to Auckland from Cleveland I went through SF–usually go through LA. I had a layover of a few hours and saw as much of SF and you can from the windows of the terminal building!

I think there is a marvelous piece of fiction waiting to happen which centers around a woman and two hooded rats walking into a drugstore circa 1960.

8. Linda says:

So I am going to go out on a limb here, admit that I think it is fine for them to inquire as to how my day is going and subject myself to your wrath. I usually respond honestly (good or bad) although rarely in such fine detail! I think our young folks today find engaging face to face a huge challenge given their propensity to text. So why not encourage them to have an actual conversation. If I am having a bad day they will most likely simply focus on getting on me on my way which would probably serve me well. As far as calling them “associates”, if it means they are more committed to service because they feel they have a “stake” in the business – I’m all for it. Having been an “associate” at various times throughout my own career, I know it brightened my self perspective and had a positive effect on how I performed professionally. I do want to know about the two hooded rats! Fact or fiction?

I don’t have any problems with what they call themselves…associates sounds good. My own thought is that I’d rather not engage in my personal life with people I do not know. I’d rather do the superficial thing: how are you? fine, thanks.

I have a problem with the mislabeling of us, the customers. Guests and clients at Target and Sephora?

The hooded rats, Pixie and Dixie, were my pets. If you do a search on the blog under pixie and dixie, I may have written the story of the 8th grade science fair. They were part of my blue ribbon.

9. I hope you went home and had a nice big glass of something expensive. To see real frustration, go to Costco on a weekend.