A Bride in Blue

IMG_3544

Out on the beach with the stunning mountains of Maui rising in the north and Hawaiian music playing quietly in the background, a wedding was taking place,  the vows exchange scheduled to coincide with the setting of an orange sun. The groom was wearing a light green Hawaiian shirt with  sea turtles swimming on the front and back. The family members giggled at times, the after-effects of a pre-nuptial Mai Tai, perhaps.

We stopped to watch the ceremony somewhat nostalgically, remembering our honeymoon in Hawaii a long time ago.

The bride in a gorgeous white gown, escorted by her proud father wearing a suit, began her walk from the Mauna Lani Hotel pool to the beach and to all of those waiting with anticipation.

We, the uninvited,  backed up onto the lawn to watch her come down the sandy aisle.

As she approached, the white of her gown contrasted the dark blue of her tattoos, which crept out of the bodice  and then exploded like a paint ball all over her shoulders and back, disappearing again under the satin buttons on the back of the dress.  She looked like a beautiful mermaid with chain mail for skin.

Oh, doesn’t she look radiant, like a 40’s movie star, so subtle, feminine, and sexy?

Not.

This entry was posted in Life and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to A Bride in Blue

1. T E Stazyk says:

Ha. I picked up a discordant note when you pointed out that the groom was in a Hawaiian shirt while the bride was decked out more traditionally. No to be judgmental, but I think you witnessed a statistic in the making.

Ha! The bride was traditionally untraditional. The groom looked clean cut; the bride, trashy. (How’s that for being judgmental?)

• T E Stazyk says:

I’d love to have an extended discussion about the word “judgemental” I have the impression that it is considered bad form to be “judgemental” today. But I think that we must all be judgemental if we don’t want to live in a homogenized nostalgie de la bou.

Remember, I live with a judge. 😉
          An extended conversation would be interesting.
          When Ron makes a judgement about what he sees in modern culture, the kids (In their 30’s) used to say, “Dad you are so judgmental!” and he’d say, “That’s my opinion.”

Are we entitled to our opinions?

2. Laugh out loud funny! I was getting carried away with the whole graceful dynamic when you hit me with that “paint ball”.

3. Brighid says:

Funny to read, not quite so funny when it’s your son’s latest girlfriend… Will keep the prayers going that he doesn’t come up with the funding to marry anytime soon…lol

Brighid,
      I am trying to understand why so many people are tattooing their bodies. I don’t get it unless its an iteration of a culture war.

4. Don says:

Tattoos ain’t so bad. Depends on the artistry. Which includes the bearing of the bearer. Good posture and a healthy stride can’t be undone by anything, in my view.

But yeah. Dad in suit, groom in light green Hawaii shirt? I smell trouble.

Well, I happen to think tattoos deface the largest organ on our bodies. What’s worse occurs when one decides to remove them. Very painful. Tell me, why do you think so many people are tattooing their bodies? And punching quarter-sized holes in their earlobes and drilling rivets in their upper lips, eyebrows, and tongues?

• Don says:

I can’t explain the facial piercing, or those horrible big holes in earlobes; except that a small (and, yes, tasteful) bit of jewelry placed to enhance an already attractive place on the body can look kind of cute. In other words, earrings, belly button rings, even nipple rings all have their place. (Nose rings / studs / snot magnets do not.)

As for tattoos, it’s justified as decoration but a lot of folks do it from within the common dichotomy of finding a socially acceptable means to rebel, and still have room for creativity. I like them if they’re not ugly. (I also like flames painted on hot rods, and the gingerbread on Victorian houses done up in multiple colors, so, go figger.)

Most of my disdain is earned by a guy who’d get married in a Hawaii shirt.

5. potsoc says:

A cultural mix or a cultural mismatch? Or mishmash?

The tattoo having always been around, a pertinent question is why are they today so ubiquitous, not least among young women, whose mothers wouldn’t have been seen dead with a tattoo.

*This piece* may give clues as to why.

• T E Stazyk says:

I read that article with interest because I’ve wondered about the “why.” Call me a Neanderthal, but when I see a woman with a tattoo, I don’t see someone who has taken ownership of their “space,” but rather a person whose insecurities make them embrace conformity. Her posting a “celeb” tat and calling it “inspiration” sort of supports my view, I think.

Thanks Christopher. She indicates that there is something “wonderfully revolutionary” about her Darwin’s moth tattoo. I do believe that women getting tattooed on arms, breasts, thighs, and backs speaks about their need for attention. So much about the way women decorate themselves is about a need for attention, don’t you think?

Here in the San Francisco Bay Area, at most shopping malls, women look about as trashy as they can.

• Christopher says:

”…..women getting tattooed……..speaks about their need for attention. So much about the way women decorate themselves is about a need for attention………”

Whether it’s a need for attention, or having control over one’s body, or a rejection of the male-defined idea of feminine beauty, the issues – whether psychological, emotional, sociological, aesthetic or political – that have to do with female tattoos, seem to me similar to the psychological, emotional, sociological, aesthetic and political issues that have to do with what food and eating mean to women.

I’m put in mind of a film of twenty or so years back, called “Eating”, that was made by Henry Jaglom, a close friend of Orson Welles. It’s set at a suburban party at which a bunch of middle-aged women talk about eating, and food, and what it means to them.

I count it as one of the best films I’ve seen in the last twenty years, and, if you’ve never seen it, I do recommend it. *Its trailer* will pull you in, I feel sure.

• Don says:

Interesting responses to the article.

I appreciate her point about presentation of negative space (passivity) versus assertion of filled space (activity). Nowadays, though, a woman who remains tattoo-free is asserting herself just as much as, sometimes more than, her fashionable sistren.

Somehow I’m minded of a tattoo on one of the Flaming Lotus Girls I met at the unofficial Burning Man-like Fourth of Juplaya campout in the Black Rock Desert in 2011. She had inked to her thigh an exploded diagram of a solenoid. I fell, briefly and anonymously, in love.

Yesterday, my husband and I attended a retirement party. There, as part of the entertainment, were three high school seniors from Vacaville dressed in gorgeous 40’s dresses who sang about 10 songs from the Andrews Sisters. They were gorgeous girls with gorgeous voices.

I was struck by how attractive women’s clothing and hair styles were.

We are a pretty trashy society in terms of women’s fashion, make-up, and now skin art.