Belly fat

Ikeda's burger

Ikeda’s burger

This is a big week.

My brother Steve, also known as Stevie in my blogs, turns sixty on Wednesday. I’m not sure how he feels about it. We celebrated on Saturday and he seemed fine with moving into a new decade but he was not particularly philosophic. I sang happy birthday but didn’t eat the flourless cake.

My dear friend Kayti Rasmussen, known also in the blogosphere as Pacho Fa, turns eighty-something tomorrow, but we will celebrate her birthday lunch on Friday of this week. I shall encourage her to have dessert, but I will refrain.

My thesis advisor, Herbie Lindenberger,  turns eighty-four on Thursday. He and I are meeting then at Stanford at 2pm for an espresso. (He doesn’t know I am taking him a jar of olallieberry jam for his birthday present. I hope the jam will make him forget the fact that I was supposed to have a chapter ready for him to read.) I will order a low-fat latte.

My friend Pam Mah turned sixty on Saturday, so I am taking her out for dinner at Tamarine, a Vietnamese restaurant in Palo Alto on Thursday night. This will be a tough culinary menu to navigate.

All in all, other people’s birthdays are wonderful excuses to dine out.

Except, I have cut back on sugar and carbs in the last three weeks in an effort to stave off any belly fat that is trying its darndest to make  its way to my mid-section. Belly fat is like a homely lost puppy that shows up at your door: it’s hard to get rid of once it’s there.

This entry was posted in Life, People and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Belly fat

1. Glad to see I’m not the only one over eighty who turned another page in march. Happy birthsay to all of us and many happy returns.

2. douglas says:

Isn’t “belly fat” redundant?

I’m carrying the same 165 pounds I did in high school; to be fair, some of those pounds married and started families.

You are so funny. I still weigh what I weighed in high school (107 or so) but my, has the fat rearranged itself. What happened??

5. Don says:

The only Ikeda’s I know is up in Auburn. Great place. Now I’m all hungry. Whoa, from here I could be there in 39 googlemins.

I’ve weighed the same for thirty years, which is twenty pounds more than I weighed in high school. Can’t explain it. Happy birthday to everyone!

Don, that’s the Ikeda’s where that juicy burger-photo was taken. Last summer when Ron was on a fishing trip, I drove up to Tahoe by myself. I couldn’t believe it: I stopped at Ikeda’s coming AND going and had burgers and fries. I haven’t done that since I was 15 years old. My god, if I lived 30 googlemins from Ikeda’s, I’d be 50 pounds over my current weight. Go for it, my friend.

Your still being the same sylph-like 107 pounds that you were when in high-school says much for your self-discipline.

What, though, if you fall sick? Wouldn’t it be good if you packed on some extra pounds as reserve?

If your current 107 pounds isn’t distributed quite the way you’d like, so what? Unless you’re on the dating scene, why worry?

It’s funny that you would say that, Christopher (about being sick and needing extra weight). That is exactly what my husband says when I refuse to eat dessert along with him. Well, with regard to your last sentence, what can I say? I want to look the best I can for myself (and my husband) and any potential date I might have in the future….. 🙂

Congratulations to all the birthday girls and boys and particularly to Steve.

Last year, Glenys and I watched Professor Lustig’s terrific lecture about fructose referred to here:

In the course of the following three to four months we lost around 28 lbs (or 2 stone as we usually say over here). Just by watching the lecture!

A little while later, we saw a TV programme about a doctor who, although he looked alright had vast accumulations of bad fat around his heart and liver and we were able to nod sagely and condescendingly. He talked about fructose. He also had a fasting scheme that worked wonders and, so he said, it cures type 2 diabetes. Who knows.

Even though, generally speaking, we felt a lot better, those around us were alarmed about us wasting away. We are now able to levitate.

Wow. What a testimony to a fructose-free diet. Hizzoner would never consent to that type of discipline and regimen. He loves his ice cream. In fact, I never mention diet to him or to anyone. Christopher is right: I am very disciplined but I am not sure why. Maybe I ought to just chow down.

8. Thanks Cheri! Christopher is right aabout getting sick and losing weight. Remember when I got sick last year and ;lost 20 #? Down to 86 and now up to 95. It’s hard to put it back. See you Friday!