Lonely Highway 50: Kansas (part one)

We eagerly anticipated driving across the middle of Kansas and stopping in small towns for lunch.

Some have observed that the folks from the plains states are the salt of the earth,but I beg to differ!

I’d say the  the folks we interviewed in Kansas  are the corn and sorghum of the earth.

We hustled down the road, but not too fast, because the Judge was trying to avoid a speeding ticket. The first order of business then, was to stop at a local sporting goods store in Garden City, Kansas, and buy a Kansas University cap. This purchase was in anticipation of being stopped by a Kansas Highway Patrolman who might take heart that it was a Jay hawks fan that had his claw to the metal. Picking the University of Kansas is a 50/50 proposition because the state seems equally divided in loyalty between Kansas State and University of Kansas.

While in town, as we have all along Highway 50, we located a small diner Traditions that has been in the community for over 75 plus years. According to Mike, the owner who restored it to its present state, most of the fixtures are  original.

Krista served us tuna and chicken sandwiches with a bag of chips resting next to three sweet pickle slices, all nesting in a red plastic basket. Mike went out of his way to answer all of our questions and he and Krista even posed for a picture on the way out.

On we drove, headed to a tiny spot right on Highway 50 named Cimarron. The vistas opened up so wide, my camera struggled to capture the expanse.

We met our host, Joan, who owns a charming bed and breakfast that faces Highway 50. The Judge and I had our own cocktail party on the veranda and watched the traffic go by.
Careful not to be hit by a cattle truck, which go by with the regularity of  New York subway trains, the Judge ran across Highway 50 to photograph Cimarron Crossings Bed and Breakfast. Joan rustled up a big Kansas breakfast and also told us many stories about the history of the area. We will leave for Dodge City in the morning, leave it, go back and leave it again, so we can say we “Got out of Dodge Twice!”

This entry was posted in Life, My photography and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Lonely Highway 50: Kansas (part one)

1. Linda says:

Thanks for sharing Kansas. Probably the only way I will ever see it. One state I never hot to in my working days. Looks especially goof when seen through a nice iced Chardony!

We made it to AZ. Now for a nap.

Hope you are feeling better

L Sent from Linda’s iPhone

As soon as you’re not in Kansas anymore you can start re-enacting The Wizard of Oz.

3. Loved the little diner! Go Kansas!

4. Looks like a great trip–hope you continue to enjoy.

5. Brighid says:

This is almost as much fun as if I had gotten to go in person… My grandaughter is at Southwestern college in Winfield, Kansas…if you get that way give her a hug for Nanny, thanks!

6. Don says:

My father-in-law was born in Dodge. He got out early.

I’m oddly fond of Highway 50. I live near it. My office looms over it. When coming home from the Bay Area, I always see the sign announcing that Ocean City, MD, is just 3073 miles along, and I want to fill my tank and polish my credit card and go see.

7. Rosemary says:

I forwarded your Kansas entry to my USC roomie Joan…who now lives on a ranch with her retired physician hubby in Eastern Kansas… She was delighted to read it!
    Wish you had a radio show so we could hear your voice!
    Today’s SF Chron has a story about Route 66… Perhaps you should submit your adventure, too.,

Safe but wild ‘n crazy travel fun to you!!!

• potsoc says:

While shopping on the internet for replacement LazyBoys, we were directed top a LazyBoy Furniture Galery in Kansas City. We, fortunately, found some nearer our place. Going to Kansas City will have to wait.

I am honored that Joan liked it. Part Two coming up next. I wonder if she lives anywhere near Cottonwood Falls in Chace County. We veered off Highway 50 for 6 miles to stay there. Beautiful!!!