Lowfat or nonfat Yoga

I wore a sleeveless dress to a holiday affair last night.

For that newfound freedom, I thank yoga.

I’ve become the most obnoxious kind of convert, telling everyone, including Joanie, the Chinese owner of USA Cleaners, about the benefits of yoga.

Hi Cheri, how are you today? she asks.

Oh, I am just terrific, thanks Joanie, I reply.

I pull seven shirts out of the Judge’s laundry bag and do the counting for her. One, two, three..oh by the way Joanie, have you ever taken yoga?

I did when Froggies Yogurt was next door, Cheri. I like yogurt,  she answers but laments,  too bad the greedy landlords wouldn’t lower the rent in such a bad economy. Now we have no yogurt shop. You were smart to sell your business and get out of here!  Her sweet almond-shaped eyes take on a sharp look and I mirror her expression.

No, Joanie, not yogurt. Yo-gah. Yoga! (Richard was right…I’ll never retire from teaching.)

Joanie repeats after me.

Yo-gah! Oh!!! she laughs and her almond-shaped eyes widen. Her eyebrows arch with the humor of the moment.

I proceed to proselytize.

Her business partner, Jackie, comes in. She has been practicing Tai Chi, as she does every morning, outside the laundry door.

Hi Cheri, how are you? Jackie asks. Did you ever find those shiny buttons you were looking for?

No, I haven’t located those buttons, but I was just telling Joanie about yoga, I reply.

Jackie agrees. Oh, I know. It’s so sad they closed. Those landlords are so greedy.

This entry was posted in Life, People and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Lowfat or nonfat Yoga

1. Man of Roma says:

Very funny and well written. Thank you Cheri.

Why does the blonde record her thoughts on a milk carton? She’s keeping a dairy.

3. dafna says:

may the schwartz be with you! apparently neither lady was a mel brooks fan. Yogurt/Yoda/Yoga…eh, there is wisdom in all of them 🙂

Tee hee.
    Both ladies are from Taiwan. I don’t think Mel Brooks broke box office records there! He’s a big hero in our family. (Naturally…)

After all, we don’t look Druish. 😀

5. I’ve been through that (the proselytizing) phase. It lasts about a year. Thereafter you just “do” yoga. I’m assuming you’re going for the whole-milk version? Stay away from that lowfat stuff.

Oh yes. That’s the way I approach just about everything in my life. The whole-milk version of yoga is, ironically, taking off the fat.

I loved reading a piece of Hannibal and Me in Salon.com. I love the description of your life in the cubicle. My, how far you have journeyed since that time. Your stories surely will be a source of encouragement for many folks out there, I suspect.

Occupy Hannibal and Me.

• Glad it worked for you, Cheri. As you may have guessed, I was taken aback by the excerpt. It’s not the one I would have chosen. But I also realize that I can’t be the one doing the choosing for that same reason.

As a writer, I do understand your surprise (and maybe a little bit of concern?) about the excerpt they selected. We know what came before and will come after. We want readers to get the progression. Excerpts by their very nature shock us a bit. We have to jump into the presumed story line and fit that excerpt to its place. We also worry that readers will miss the meaning as it relates to the whole.

I think Salon chose that one because it is about YOU.