Stairway to Heaven

Today, on my walk up the road, this old overgrown stairway caught my eye.

And then, this stately oak, waiting for her dress to arrive.

Then, a bank of bay trees, hunkering down on the ridge for a cold night.

Across the bay, sits San Francisco, a beach town.

Happy Spring! To escape (for just a moment) to a wonderful fantasy world, go to my other blog Notes from Hyperborean Chaerie. Interestingly, I am getting more hits on this blog per day than on my real blog. I guess people from around the globe would like some escape. I am doing my best to provide it.

This entry was posted in My photography and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Stairway to Heaven

1. sledpress says:

I run across stairs like that sometimes. I keep hoping that they will actually lead somewhere extraordinary.

2. zeusiswatching says:

Looks like the short version:)

3. Jeanie says:

Natures is so inspiring. Isn’t it? I popped some photos of spring on my blog, since many of my Blog friends are still waiting for spring to arrive. We have a staircase like that one, here in the English Lakes. It leads to the English Dales Way where walkers enjoy the beauty of the fells and dales as they traverse it.
    Jeanie

4. Old stairways sometimes lead to strange and exciting places. I always want to climb
    to the top and take my chances!

5. Man of Roma says:

Yes, old stairways lead to strange places where we can escape. How true, we need to escape and being under unnecessary pressure I thank you for the break and will chant for you, Chaerie the hyperborean faerie:

I hear thee speak of the better land
    Thou callest its children a happy band;
    Mother, oh! where is that radiant shore;
    Shall we not climb those stairs and weep no more?

Just seven steps to heaven? And that pearly gate there looks a little puny.

• Man of Roma says:

@Vienna

Seven is a very special and magic number. Let me think … *thinking a lot* … YES!

Seven days of Creation, seven days of the feast of Passover, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, mammals having 7 cervical vertebrae, Seven Wonders of the ancient world (and of the modern too), the seven last words of Jesus on the cross, “sa re ga ma pa dha ni” or seven basics of hindu music, the Seven Lucky Japanese Gods, the seven main islands of mythical Atlantis, the seven ranks in Mithraism, the seven daughters of Atlas in the Pleiades, Newton identifying 7 colors of the rainbow, Windows 7 (that is sinking Microsoft), 7UP, the seven hills of Rome, the Kulin people of Australia having seven seasons, hindu chakras that are seven it seems, the 7th Guest (my best Horror video game; also ‘Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars’ is not at all bad), Ultimate Frisbee’s each team num of players being – you guessed right – 7, the 7-branched Jewish Menorah, the seven notes (do-re-mi-fa-sol-la-si) of Western music tradition, the Seven deadly sins [in Latin: luxuria (lust or lechery), gula (gluttony), avaritia (greed), acedia (acedia, discouragement), invidia (envy), superbia (pride); and well, well, it seems I am the almost perfect 5-sinning sinner, I indulging in 5 of them still at my age].

I could go on forever, Vienna.

Also because Wikipedia is very good.

Btw I recently gave a contribution of 50 euros to this marvellous encyclopaedia. Which in my view proves 7 things:

1) the laws of capitalism are not the only ones that work (you young people, the future, better nail it down on your heads)
      2) what is free and non-profit is often (tho not always, ok) the best; take Linux and compare it with Apple OS (I’ll not even consider Microsoft products, that know well being a MCSE)
      3) Wikipedia is seventy times seven times better than profit Britannica
      4) Wikipedia is 7 times better than Mussolini’s profit Enciclopedia Italiana, a still alive institution where Flavia worked for 7 years, then was fired because betrayed by a Neapolitan Iscariot, the 7th of my schoolmates, Mario, whom I punish forever in blogpsphere hell by making him the most idiotic character ever in my dialogues. He’s already punished by his guilt (he loves me) in any case. Half of my heart is Protestant Vienna, and can’t forgive 😦
      5) I forgot,
      6) forgot too
      7) Jimmy Wales and Larry Sanger had the idea of creating Wikipedia (hit like by lightning it seems) when travelling around the Seven Virgins mountain range in Sri Lanka (my memory may be faltering here too)

Ciao, ie:

Ich grüße Sie und wünsche Ihnen alles Gute

• Well, if this just doesn’t take the cake … If WordPress were to have a Freshly Pressed for Comments, this would be in the upper lefthand position permanently.

Wow. Just the “Neopolitan Iscariot” alone.

Two questions (I forgot the other five 😉 …. you’re interested in Mithras? And Microsoft is dying over Windows 7? Hurrah on both counts.

How to kill a piece of software: take Word, then bury all the useful functionality so deep it takes a Roman excavator looking for Mithraic temples to find it.

• Cyberquill says:

Having looked at the picture again, I don’t think the concrete platform at the bottom should be counted as a step. Looks more like it serves as the foundation for the actual steps that follow. So Cheri, could you do me a favor and change seven to six in my above comment?

• Man of Roma says:

The horse move eh Vienna? Ok.

1) A step is anything you can step on: you being no English-native speaker hoe can you know.
        2) People, ascending in a straight line (the most natural), there’s no way they can reach your ‘1rst step’ unless they jump, which is stupid.

There are 5 more reasons why those steps are 7.
        I forgot them. But the said 2 are enough.

• Cyberquill says:

Jumping is stupid? With this kind of rhetoric, you’re not gonna make a lot of friends among grasshoppers and kangaroos, that’s for sure.

Not to mention shaggy and unkempt, overgrown and rustic.

Which two sins do not apply to you? 🙂

8. Man of Roma says:

@Cyberquill

I love you CQ. Ours is great common continental resonance I’m not kidding. But please understand that as for material and spiritual pleasures, I much prefer hyperborean Chaerie 😉

In my long-ago freshman year of college, I knew a girl who aspired to be Jimmy Page’s guitar so he could rub his hands up and down her fretboard, as it were. I strongly prefer the subject matter of your Stairway To Heaven.

10. Don says:

Agree. Seven steps. No question. No doubt beyond the fence, the space where a house once stood. I love those places, empty yet not so, where a decorative tree gone wild or a ragged rose bush delineate the edges of a life lived in a place and time both now long gone. Very evocative, stairways to nowhere (or heaven, if you prefer, as they are both the same).

Well, I don’t believe in Heaven but I do believe in Nature’s sublime stairways. One of my friends now, is making his way up a long snowy stairway in Nepal.

You are right, Don. These stairs led to an old house, now inhabited by the park ranger.

12. Philippe says:

Being of a Certain Age (as it were), I was wondering which “Stairway to Heaven” inspired the title of this posting. Was it the “Stairway to Heaven” which we’re all supposed to know about? Or was it:

Well-a well-a well-a heavenly angel
    I want you for my girl
    When I kissed your sweet, sweet lips
    I knew that you were out of this world
    I’ll build a stairway to heaven,
    I’ll climb to the highest star
    I’ll build a stairway to heaven,
    ‘Cause heaven is where you are

The stairs on the road made me think of Led Zeppelin’s lyrics, but I am dying to know where the ones you have included came from.

Sounds a bit country to me.

Can’t heaven be a utopia?