Meditation in Hyperborea

Hyperborea on my mind

Now that it is spring break from school, I’ve had more time to relax and write.

I tend to dream more when I am relaxed. What about you?

This morning, I woke up, having dreamed I was sitting up on a branch with a large cat named Hercules and small faerie named Chaerie.

As Carl would appreciate, I evaluated my dream and followed it to a place where only good news happens. There the inhabitants (and visitors) exercise daily, breath slowly, and eat sensibly.

It’s heavenly to be taken away into an imaginary land because when you come back to this one–filled with human heartache–you roll up your sleeves and do something about it.

This entry was posted in My fiction and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Meditation in Hyperborea

1. Cheri,

I dream relaxed and not. Some of my dreams are sweet and others not.

Dreams tell us something about ourselves. Hercules is a powerful god in mythology http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hercules and here he is in your sleep and yes, and you are out on a branch or a limb. Tell me about the branch, is it the skinny part? Stay within the metaphor of the dream, amplify the symbolism.

I allow the dream to lead me to deeper consciousness and see things that I might otherwise not want to see. What can I say, my Jungian self knows no other way.

Hi Mary Jane,

The branch was big and comfortable, about half way up the tree. I felt secure.

The cat, Hercules, is clearly a wise protector.

2. sledpress says:

I rarely dream of anything kind or welcoming, but I still feel more alive dreaming than I ever do when awake. I’m afraid I tend toward the kinds of dreams which involve trying to do something that refuses to be done, including the ones where you try to scream and can’t make a sound.

But they remain fascinating to me. Last night I dreamt that a crackpot whom I knew in local politics had turned into a carp with the power of speech, and I was carrying him around the district in a plastic bucket full of water and occasionally lifting him into the air so that he could rant and opine as he typically does. It made me think of “Die Frau Ohne Schatten,” the Eddystone Light, and several folk tales. As soon as I have more than five minutes together I’m going to be looking up talking fish.

• Hi Sledpress,

If you would allow me to offer that “voice” seems important in your dreams. I would crank that up a bit and ask, “Where do I need to scream out in my waking world.”

And how fascinating your association about Die Frau, the woman without a shadow. The dream world wants us to work on our shadow and it looks as though you are being invited.

Yes, I tend to dream most when I’m most relaxed, i.e., asleep.

4. Philippe says:

Where in the tree were you in your dream? At the top? In the middle?

I like the photo. Very California central coast. Where you walked looked empty enough for you to let Dinah off her leash. Did you later?

In the middle.

Glad you like the photo. Yes. Very California Central Coast.

This particular trail does not let dogs off leash. Dinah who loves people can be a bit persnickety about dogs, so it’s just as well.

Ahhhhhh……breathe that ocean air.

5. zeusiswatching says:

I don’t really know. I am no believer in anything important coming from dreams, my dreams at any rate. I suspect my dreams are tied deeply into my lunches. I don’t really give them a lot of thought.

6. dafna says:

told both parents “i love you” today.

your parents are blessed to have a daughter like you.