Clarence’s advice

A splendid view if you are in the now.

Good for you. You are in the now. Now is all we have. Smell the air, breathe in, breathe out. Feel the tropical air blow through your shirt sleeves. Pretend you are arriving on a deserted black sand beach, just you and your love. Stay in the now. Ahhh……….the now.

Oh my! The now has changed, dear. A large curious mule has stepped into my lens, without my permission. Go with the flow. It is as it is. Stay with the now. Am I really that interesting? Oh…you smell the trail mix in my pocket. You say you are a trail expert? That’s why you like trail mix? Oh, Ok. I get it. Please move out of my way, Clarence, so I can get back into the now.

You have advice. I’ll take it, Clarence.

By the way, has anyone ever told you that your nose feels just like velvet?

Did I embarrass you?

I’d better just stick with the now. It’s the best and only place to be.

This entry was posted in Life, My photography and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Clarence’s advice

1. I guess Clarence was very much into your now. If she was into your now then you were still in it. If you were still in it how could you “go back” into something you never left?

2. Great pics, but more important a clever reminder that the now is the now

3. Brighid says:

donkey see, donkey do Aren’t they just the funniest critters, so much character.

I’ve always wanted a mule. No kidding. With the menagerie of critters I have sheltered or owned over the years, Judge Blah has put his foot down. No mules. Period. “The damn dog is enough!!” (with an emphasis on damn)

• Brighid says:

Now, get a mule, they are great fun. My grandad had a couple of mules when I was small. The cousins and I spent many hours riding them, not easy as they were pack mules. We talked granny into getting on one and snapped a picture of her. She hated that picture, it made for good bribery.
      Being in the Now and not the know, I better go check heifers.

5. jenny says:

“Stick with the now” is just one letter away from “Stick with the snow”.

The (s)now here in Chicagoland is not the best place to be, but, with winds of 60 mph, there is no escape, and it is the only place for some of us to be.

I’ll answer before I jump back into a paper that is due this week.
      Would you believe that I thought of YOU this morning while watching the Weather Channel. They were broadcasting from outside the aquarium with the city in the background. The lake was frozen.

I wondered how you people get into your cars and go to work in that cold.
      The last time I was in Chicago, it was 35 degrees and I thought I would freeze to death.

I will not tell you what a gorgeous spring-like day we had here in the Bay Area. Even the cherry blossoms are coming out.

And then there’s LA: 74 degrees.

• jenny says:

Oh, yeah?

If only the lake were frozen! Lake Shore Drive is evidently closed because of 25 foot waves splashing onto it. That’s funny.

Enjoy the cherry blossoms. I’m crawling into bed.

The now changes. Clarence changes some of it. So do you. So do I. Within limits. Intention is there, or so it appears. Odd. Powerful. If everything changes back, we can’t tell the difference.

Talk about “staying in the now” has become big business in the publishing, music, and religious industries.

Richard is right. The now becomes the past by the second.

Learning how to be in the moment is one of the most important practices in the human potential.

Although the old standard suggests that it is a more appealing alternative to swing on a star, most days I would rather be a mule.

🙂

Remember Muley Graves from the Grapes of Wrath?

The now is the best and only place to be. How about in the dentist’s chair? Principles must be adhered to 100% of the time, or else they ain’t principles. You can’t just go, “The now is the best place to be unless I’d rather be somewhere else.”

That’s the point, Peter. Be in the now, even in the dentist’s chair.
      (I love my dental visits because my dentist, my brother, has a nitrous bar. 🙂 )

10. Philippe says:

It is said that animals like Clarence have no egos. So they can only be in the present, and we therefore cannot help but be so too when with them.

I hope your mom is doing well after her surgery.

You are such a caring and kind person.
    She survived the surgery and is now trying to recover.
    She has endured chronic pain for a long time;
    we hope that as the weeks go by, her pain is lessened.
    Thank you for your thoughts and genuine concern.

12. Man of Roma says:

I wish I were Clarence to always be in the now too. They say it is good to be in the now. Clarence is a beauty. Her velvety nose shows well in the picture. Also the landscape on top is a beauty. California? You have received more comments when you were away than when you were with us. Clear sign that people miss you. We all care for you, your mum, hubby and the rest of the family. Stay with us and don’t leave your blog. One doesn’t need to write cool, witty or poetic stuff. Just stick out your tongue to us and make PRRRRRRRRRR. We’ll be happy and laugh.

Oh I wish you lived close by and we could get coffee o’ spirited Man of Roma.

The scene is on the Big Island of Hawai’i, north of Kohala. There is a famous black sand beach below where the mule stands. His nose was oh so soft and velvety. Like most mules, he was ultra curious, affectionate, and a bit salty (he tried to nip).

You are right in observing that I have pulled back a bit from my blog. I’m having a hard time keeping up these days.

I really like your reminder that I don’t need to write poetic and deep stuff. In trying to complete my homework for my masters program, I am usually drained these days.

Thank you for your encouragement. You are indeed a wonderful man, (of Roma or any other place on the face of this planet!)

14. Man of Roma says:

Well, what you are saying cheers me up too, a bit like a compensation, being surrounded, as I am, by people who love me but keep telling me I am very average and they are probably right. This is one reason why people keep blogs after all: to hear things he / she won’t easily hear in real life 🙂

15. Man of Roma says:

PS
    Of course I’d love we had coffee often in San Francisco together, Cheri, for example at a Starbucks place which I love since my daughter has passed this unto me. They are such nice places where people can take their time, talk read or write and are not pressured to leave after a certain time. And I also would love we had coffee all together, our nice whole bunch or slice of blogosphere, so full of interesting characters. I’d be such great fun. Of course, San Francisco has even nicer places, so inspiring. We could visit them all, one by one.

16. Geraldine says:

Hi Cheri,
    I’m glad you’re back. Please give your Mum a hug from me.

ps. At first I thought the mule was yours! 🙂

• So did I, Geraldine, and it could have been, after all Cheri does live on a rancho.
      Glad to hear Queen Joan is better.

Hi Paul,
        Thanks so much for your concern about Queen Joan.

We hope she will go back to her own apartment in the next several weeks. She’s working hard at it.

Hi Geraldine,
      Thanks for your kind words.
      My “backyard” then, would have been a heavenly place…The Kona Coast of Hawai’i!

🙂

That mule has a million dollar view. Note the same background in each shot.