Three turkeys through a batik lens

Every now and then, nature turns into a textile.

This evening, with the wind rolling down the mountain and the potted plants clinging to their spots on the deck, three giant American birds flew in and ensconced themselves artistically in a barren English walnut tree.

I heard the flapping and stopped to look, despite the heavy load of logs  in my arms.

Instead of three turkeys in a tree, they became three turkeys on fabric.

This entry was posted in My photography and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Three turkeys through a batik lens

1. The only turkeys I ever saw were either on my table or in a coop. Hard to figure those birds flying and perching in a tree. Wonderful picture though and nice treatment of it through increasing blurryness.

• zeusiswatching says:

The typical factory farm turkey is bred to be so large that many can’t really fly. They might tumble along in the air, but the wild turkey does fly. Of course the birds, wild and domestic can be cross-bred so sometimes a barnyard pet (we had such a turkey) is quite capable of flight, and a big tree is a perfect place to roost at night.

You had a turkey for a pet? That’s worthy of a blog post, Zeus.
        And thank-you for correcting my silly use of the word “perch” for “roost.” Yes..they roost..

Canaries and parrots perch..

These turkeys on the rancho can fly big time. Their flapping sounds like a bomber squadron with burlap wings, beating up and down heavily.

Thanks Paul. You are so right. Why would they perch on unprotected branches, letting the wind and rain pelt them? They aren’t very smart; it’s a toss-up between turkeys and cows. My dog won’t even chase them as they peck around on the lawn.

I recognise the weave, but which part of the Tapestry is this?

Oh! A cross-curricular connection.
      The final picture is in panel 104, the one where the horses are landing in Pavensey. The boats capsize, the disembarkation goes awry, and the knights sink to the bottom of the channel, their mail shirts, leggings, and armament too heavy to float.
      Dr. Bachrach was right.

4. Don says:

Our wild turkeys seem to have enough places to run to, I’ve never seen them fly.

Pheasants on the other hand take off like great lumbering cargo planes, squawking and creaking in every loose rivet.

What’s disconcerting though are the peacocks up in the branches, and stalking around rooftops like great hallooo-ing chimneysweeps.

Don,
      Terrific description of the pheasants and the peacocks. Very nice, so nice, I read them thrice.

One question: you have peacocks in trees? Oh would my camera love to record that scene.

5. dafna says:

cool pictures cheri!

i’ve also never seen a turkey fly, as for turkeys not being too smart… do people tip them for fun like they tip cows?

more importantly, what was your reward for scoring straight “A’s” this term? hope someone had the sense to take you out to dinner 🙂

I thought of you when I was out there in the freezing cold, trying to blur the picture before those turkey took flight. True!

I’ll be chastised for saying this, but I’d like to do more than tip them…they are ubiquitous here in our hills, have many chicks each spring, and leave a terrible mess wherever they go.

And alas, I have not received straight A’s, having run into a real stickler this quarter. Still waiting for my paper in the mail and the grade. Now, why would someone over 50 be concerned with grades?

As for a dinner invite, why yes, I have had several of those.

I hope you are doing well and always appreciate your visits and insights here.

Shalom.

6. Kayti Rasmussen says:

Textile or painting, they would be extrardinary! I would like to explore this photo further.

7. Love the turkeys in the walnut tree, Cheri. And their transmutation into textile. Really great!