Washing Rice

Oh, Prometheus, look what you have wrought.

Fire.

With anvil and mallet, you smash the atmosphere.

The cauldron opens.

Energy explodes.

Day is done.

How did you spend your day, Prometheus?

This entry was posted in Life, My photography and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Washing Rice

Been walking around all day setting fire to NYC restaurants. I won’t rest until every restaurant in town has been gutted. (Nothing serious. Just a little personal vendetta.)

2. Man of Roma says:

I spent it very badly, thank you, doing such silly things I wonder if it hadn’t been better turning into an arsonist like Cyberquill. Although I would never set fire to restaurants.

3. My friends seem to be burning to do something. Burn energy my friends we have enough arsonists in the world.

Hmm….interesting trio of answers. Thank you for taking the time to respond to this cryptic mini-post.

Nobody spent the day washing rice?

There’s heat and there’s light, and an excess of the former does not guarantee a sufficient amount of the latter.

🙂

That’s the problem with poets…you really have to thinkto get it!

Yes. True. Your physics formula works in many arenas of life, w.k.

7. Come on Cheri we live in North America, even in Canada we have pre-washed rice; of course we do not grow it which explains a lot.
    I know it is not poetic. We had an Afghan friend who called non-food everything other than rice . He was a mollah’s son and a Cornell Ph.D. (physics) to boot.
    This whole comment is totally irrelevant…but who cares?

8. What comes to my mind is “Condoleesa”, but it most certainly not it, she can wash herself.

9. Geraldine says:

Renewal! Shiny and pearly. New dawn, new day. Is this for Richard?
    Just a guess!

Hi Geraldine,
      Well, not specifically for Richard. I was hoping anyone who read it would find some meaning.

Sled,
      When I have a moment to write (not many of those moments in the last month), I will write the post about Washing Rice and what it means to me…

10. Philippe says:

I think I got it.

Japan grew rice, and the two atom bombs were dropped on Japan, creating a symbiosis of rice and the bomb.

Dropping the bombs was rationalised as a necessary act of war. In this way America, in the manner of Pontius Pilate, “washed” its hands (rice) of the moral consequences of what it had done.

• Philippe says:

I forgot to add that because the decision to drop these bombs was made in “Washing”ton, and that rice is weighed by the “ton”, makes the symbolism of “washing rice” clear, when added to what I said just previously.

• Philippe says:

I assumed, by the way, that when you said:

With anvil and mallet, you smash the atmosphere.

The cauldron opens.

Energy explodes.

you were alluding to the splitting of the atom, which led to the atomic bomb.

Your interpretation rivals the best of any honors English student I ever taught.
      Especially your second comment and clever parsing of the word Washington.
      Amazing look at my title and its intersection with the post.

You are right: the post was about atomic energy.

I’m sorry I haven’t had time to write my post about washing rice. I’m still so dang busy trying to research and put together my paper due on December 10 about Duke William, his stallions, his vessels, and the 1066 Channel crossing.
      It’s slow going….me (not the crossing).

In truth, the simple act of washing rice was a part of a story I recently read in a book on Zen Buddhism. It has to do with being content with mundane tasks.

• There is nothing mundane about dissolving people with the A-bomb.
        I guess being content with washing rice is much preferable. Seen this way I guess I’m washing rice most days.
        Nice twist though and you had me working my little grey cells to exhaustion.

11. Very clever Philippe. Maybe you are right. I never would have thought of it this way. What says Cheri about this?

Paul, read again. I never said there was anything mundane about the A bomb or its effects upon people.

13. Man of Roma says:

A very crazy conversation. Either you people are nuts or it is me riding fast in the direction of Mr. Alz Heimer.

14. I guess, MoR, that we accidentally got into a mystery for the iniates of the atomic bomb. Mr Alz Heimer is nowhere near.

True enough, Paul.