Hummingbird Hussy

Cecil? Is that you? Where have you been?

Yes, Alice, I’m coming in for a landing, Watch my style, my spin, my hum.

Archie, is that you?

Yes, Alice, your sweetie-pie, coming over from across the creek to your bar. Cecil’s not here, is he?

I’m heeerrrrrreeeee Alice. Your favorite guy: Lewis. Cecil and Archie aren’t around, are they?

Alone at last. Peace.

That’s what she thinks…

This entry was posted in Life, My photography and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Hummingbird Hussy

1. Wow, Cheri, these are superb! Love it.

My graduate class with all the reading/writing begins this week, so I am enjoying my last free weekend by knitting, waiting for the right picture, and watching my college football teams.

Thanks Narelle!

2. Philippe says:

Wonderful pictures. Your artistry in photography is exceeded only by your artistry with the written word.

What went on among those humming birds may well have been a drama, and a drama of no less cosmic significance than any drama among humans.

Philippe,
      I’ve been trying to get a chirping squirrel shot to send you. 🙂
      Your essay about that squirrel in the tree whose body but not mouth was frozen in time amused me.

Yes, dear Philippe, you and I agree on the significance of the drama. Now if I could just understand my own. 🙂

3. Great pictures! Those hummingbirds must be fun to watch.

Do you have hummers in New Zealand?

Hummer is the German word for lobster.

Really? When I was in Vienna, I didn’t see hummer on any menus.

Gosh, just thinking of Vienna makes me want to go back again and walk the whole inner city.

My little hummers aren’t the type that go into a pot of boiling water….(gosh I hate that thought).

When I was a little girl at Lake Tahoe, we would catch crawdads by the tens and twenties. We’d bring them home to dad, who would cook them, and serve their little dollop carcasses as hors…

Thanks for the memories from hummingbirds to German to lobsters to Vienna to Tahoe to crawdads and now back to my meal preparation.
      By the way, how are you doing?

6. sledpress says:

How enchanting. I have got a hummingbird feeder — a gift from a client who felt guilty about successive appointment screwups — and only wasps ever come to it, chasing away the butterflies from the flowering bushes nearby. I finally called it a day and took in the reservoirs of sugar water. I just don’t think hummingbirds are my destiny; too delicate, acerbic and fleet.

Lewis is a stud hummingbird, and could win my heart any day.

Yes. I agree that Lewis is a stud. He’s been around all summer with the others.

Don’t give up! They’ll come. We too, have yellow jackets and wasps, but I try to clean the feeder and not leave any residue on it.

The hummers come year after year.

They remind me of my frenetic pace…I try to slow down in my attempt to photograph them.

Thanks for your kind comment.

8. Hummingbirds are very few around here. I have been told and also read that according to aeronotics laws hummingbirds can not fly…but did not know it and flew nonetheless.

9. Pingback: Humbug « Sixteen Tons

10. Man of Roma says:

As far as I know, and being very absent-minded, we have no hummingbirds here. I never saw one. But we have some insects that resemble them, at least in their flight.

Hi G,

Really? When I stay in Rome, especially at Santa Chiara, all I hear out my window are little hummingbirds, buzzing all over town, ridden by stylish women in long leather boots and good looking men in leather jackets.

I think those hummingbirds are called Vespas?

🙂