Bluey, Bluey (48 years later)

Bluey, Bluey

You will forgive me today, won’t you?

Instead of telling stories about literature, education, human foibles and courage, I am throwing confetti (from my shredder) above my head and letting it sprinkle to the floor in a one-woman celebratory moment.

It’s OK that I do this, right? After all, I’ve spent a lifetime cheering on everyone else: my students, my family members, old and new friends. Sure, it’s OK.

Down at the crusty old post office yesterday, I struggled to release a wedge of mail from our box. I pulled and twisted. Damn junk mail, I thought. On the counter I dumped the pile and began to sort. There among magazines and catalogues, I saw the sweetest sight I have seen since 1961 when Mayor Art pulled  out my name from a wine barrel and held it up to the television camera for all to see: a literary magazine, Tangents, published yearly by Stanford University had arrived in all of its splendor.

And on the lower right hand corner, my name (my name!) jumped into my brain in what could only be described, perhaps by Carl Jung, as a deep psychic moment.

All alone by the post office boxes I stood, a little Cheri with a big prize, wishing to share my tiny moment of success with strangers. Or with my dad who is dead.

A writer all my life, and as one of my friends, Roy, recently observed about me , “One compelled to write, ” I had finally mustered the courage to submit a piece for consideration, albeit a silly little story about two children, one bossy and one compliant, participants in a secret bathtub ritual known only to the two of us as Footstool.

When I enter my little classroom at Mill Creek Academy tomorrow, and greet my 12 budding grammarians, I will remind them to live their dreams.

Anything is possible.

This entry was posted in Life, My childhood, Writing and Teaching and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Bluey, Bluey (48 years later)

1. O.K. slave driver. Congratulations for becoming a respected author in a prestigious publication.
    Fortunately your brother seems to have overcome his block.

2. Congratulations! Best wishes for continued success.

3. jenny says:

Congratulations!

Wislawa Szymborska, a wonderful Polish poet,
    won the Nobel Prize in 1996 at age 73. Before that, who had ever heard of her? So many possibilities….

Thank you! And right back at you for having your first blog post published in Chicago.

Only 14 years to catch up to Ms. Szymborska; should I win the Nobel Prize in the next ten years, I will cite your optimism and kindness in my address.

By then, though, you might have already won it.

4. Two reactions:

1) Hurrah!

2) Shame, shame, horror, Fie: You, featured author, started a blog post with … a question! One never does that. I know that from a reliable source, a famous, featured author and writing teacher named Cheri.

So, do you think you are a little smartypants?One of the rules of all literary analysis is to consider the reliability of your narrator. Think Edgar Allen Poe in “The Fall of the House of Usher”.

Drat. I hate it when really smart people (25% of my former little brainiacs), remember such rules and dramatically stated Truths that I have made in course of my bluster.

Not sure how you hold all of this together.

But [bowing low with deep humility and respect],
      thank-you.

• An English professor of mine used to say (pompously, I might add) “One must have intimate knowledge of the rules before one may break them.” I’d say you qualify to break them.

5. steve says:

Ok, ok, congratulations are in order, for sure. You are published and this is only the beginning of many more years of story telling. You are a master of your craft-not too many people can say that. Many of your blog-mates are masters also. It shows in their ability to incite, imbue, (nice alliteration in my opinion) and entertain. So my heart-felt congratulations go out to you.

But in the interest of accuracy and ethics, I must make the following observation:

The article is categorized as fiction. Really?
    I don’t think so..

Yours truly,

Footstool

Perhaps you might like to elaborate, Footstool.

Without you, none of this would be possible.

[pop!]

Selfish, selfish, SELFISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Brighid says:

Congrats, wish you were closer, the common old cowgirl needs intelligent stimulation.

Well, shucks, I sure don’t know about intelligent stimulation, Brighid, but more importantly, have you moved far away?

10. Roy Davis says:

Cheri:
    Fulfillment often comes in such small, delicious doses. Congratulations!