Pierre and Henri

Youth and Age

Audrieu, France

May, 2010.

Inner dialogue translated to English

Henri: Another silly American tourist, bringing us a sweet in exchange for a photo.

Pierre: Ahh, Henri, you take up arms too quickly. Enjoy the sugar.

Henri: I will, indeed. Her lens is long, her hand full, her kindness sincere, but still, Pierre, my patience tires of these early morning interruptions.

Pierre: Remember to look grateful. Maybe a nuzzle or nod. Her pockets bulge with sugar.

Henri: My ears see those pockets.

Pierre: I am old, so one cube satisfies.

This entry was posted in Life and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Pierre and Henri

1. My guess is that Henri is on the left?

Yes. Henri (named changed for anonymity) is the younger with the forward ears.

Pierre is the older with the matted forelock.

I have another sweet photo of my Pierre but shall reserve that for a post about being content with one’s age.

3. I know I sometimes act like an ass but I never figured I’d, one day, see asses named like my late maternal uncle and brother.
    Forunately they definitely do not look like they did.

4. No M’am, I ain’t, but were they alive, I’m sure they would laugh their head’s off.

5. By the way I see that you have become a member of the Red Hat Ladies Club. Congratulations.

Thanks for noticing my orange hat. That is my graduation hat, the one I religiously wear to all high school and college graduations.

This wearing was in honor of my niece Elizabeth, who graduated from University of California, Santa Barbara in Biology.

It was a day full of sun, and at my age, no more sun on the face.

7. Congratulations to your niece. The sun will certainly regret his bannishment.

8. jenny says:

I noticed your tags and, OK, I’m not as Jung as I used to be. Will you explain the connection to me?

🙂

I am studying just a small part of Jung’s voluminous body of work. In a lecture he gave (from a collection of essays), he discusses the stages of life.

He wrote about the need for older people to focus on their own development, to be content and reflective, instead of being as Jung said Doctrinaires.

I am hoping Jung would approve of what Pierre says.

10. Jung may or may not approve after a few years of therapeutic introspection and Pierre could’nt care less.

Hi Paul,
      You have training in this area, no?
      What did Jung say about the final stages of life?

I’m interested in your point of view.

Pierre is just like the Old Waiter in A Clean Well Lighted Place by Hemingway.

He may look like an ass, but he has a lot of insight. 🙂

Pierre is my favorite French name!

11. I have not delved very thouroughly on Jung’s works, I have worked with Jungian and endured people undergoing Jungian therapies, not fun at all.
    I’m more familiar with Freud and, on the cognitive side, Jean Piaget.
    As for Pierre, it does have a special ring to it and it is associated with many Chefs. In Montreal one very good and lasting restaurant is called “Chez Pierre”.
    When Sullivan Productions highjacked Anne of Green Gables and filmed, on P.E.I. using the famous Dalvay by the Sea Inn and calling it White Sands Castle, he named the Chef “Pierre”, reportedly from Paris. Pierre was played by Albert Millaire, a Québec actor, for the accent.

12. jenny says:

Pierre Bezukhov from War and Peace! My favorite Pierre of all.

Yes, Cheri, I like many things Russian, though I would not care to answer to your Lithuanian relatives for their many valid grievances against Mother Russia.

My favorite Pierre is Maurice Sendak’s in Pierre, I Don’t Care.

Ahhhh…..The Fixer by Bernard Malamud…