Butterfly Lovers

The sounds of the quail call-calling from under the oaks seemed louder this morning.

The abbreviated shrieks of the red-tail hawk returning to her nest secure in our pine tree amplified the woods.

Even the rabble-gobble of the wild turkeys in the dry leaf duff demanded my attention.

It’s spring here at the Rancho.

And despite the 40-degree low last night, the snapdragon reach skyward in search of sun.

Surprisingly, even with nature’s melodies and watercolors entertaining the senses, this morning I covered my ears with my headset, grabbed my iPod, shaded my eyes with rose-colored sunglasses and my head with a floppy kayaking hat and headed up the road, yellow dog still tugging at the leash.

By the way, did I tell you the road is steep?

What to play?

Power walking up such an incline takes stamina and a melody worthy of the effort.

You might be surprised by my musical selections.

How to replace the quail’s concern?  Riders in the Sky by Sons of the Pioneers.

How to replace the hawk’s industriousness?  Pride and Joy by Stevie Ray      Vaughan.

How to replace the sheer volume of turkey-ness? Folsom Prison Blues by Johnny Cash.

On the way down the road for the cool down? Butterfly Lovers, one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever composed.

And you?

This entry was posted in Life and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Butterfly Lovers

1. Jeanie says:

I was hooked by your imagery, onamatopoeia and alliteration on this woodland walk.
    What a large canvas you painted with your words.
    I wish I could write like you.
    Jeanie

Hi Jeanie,
    Wow. Thanks for your kind words and welcome to the comments portion of the blog. Glad you are here.

All writers write to be read; your comments will sustain me for this day.

Collect words and images you like. Put them to use when the time is right.

Close your eyes and visualize your scene.

(Not that you asked for any advice, but as a teacher, I seem to do this without being asked.)

Tee hee

3. Peter G says:

I’m getting a little worried about Dinah’s neck and oxygen supply. Is the leash attached to a plain collar, or does she have a harness?

Fixed your error (ever the writing teacher…)

This news is going to kill you.
      Dinah would be uncontrollable in a harness or a plain collar.

Drum roll….

On our walks Dinah wears a …..pinch collar…
      It pinches her if she tugs too hard or lunges at a biker or runs after a bird (with owner in tow).

When the walk is over, her plain collar goes back on, so don’t worry.

4. Jeanie says:

Cheri..
    Your advice is very welcome. Thank you for replying to me.
    Jeanie

5. Am I to understand that when you walk on a beach with Dinah you are with Dynah Shore wearing a choker?

6. andreaskluth says:

You did a good job showing how odd we (Homo sapiens) have become.

Give us beauty free, via nature and through all five senses, and we will use our ingenuity and savings to block it out, in order to replace it with manmade beauty.