First Hamster Point of View

250px-Golden_hamster_front_1

Day has come to an end.

The light in Fanny’s room is beginning to slip through the Venetian blinds and soon, at exactly 6:30am, her Mickey Mouse alarm clock will sound, she will stretch her legs out long and sit up like a rag doll on the edge of her bed.

As for me, I’m exhausted.
And I wish someone would oil my wheel.

In a tight ball, with my head tucked under my chest, I push my body down into my nest. After all, I’ve run a mile today on my wheel in keeping with my philosophy that a sound body equals a sound mind.

I must admit that I can be a cranky little cuss but who wouldn’t be a bit peeved when awakened after a marathon jog on a circle going nowhere?

Down in my nest, deep in my nest, I ensconce myself and shut my eyes as the light brightens and Fanny’s day begins.

My body relaxes; my heartbeat slows.
Night approaches.

But a noise startles me and through the tiny door of my cage, a fleshy hand is coming at me with pink fingertips enlarging by the moment. Down I go, as far as my nest will allow, in an all out effort to avoid the grasp of this claw.

Good Morning Buddy!
It’s me, Fanny.
Oh boo, boo, boo, boo, boo, boo.
Let me see that cute little face with those twitching little whiskers.

For God’s sake, child. Why do you insist on grasping me under my arms as if I am a napkin ring?

Cupping my body in her hand, Fanny pulls me out of my home and away from my warm nest, cradling me close to her nightgown and we both sit down on the rug.

For God’s sake, don’t you know I have been busy all day, traveling from one hot pink plastic tube to another, in search of fame?

I yawn, exposing my sharp yellow teeth.

You’re such a good boy, Buddy. What would I do without you?
Boo, boo, boo, boo, boy, Buddy-boy.

Fanny!! Get going to the bathroom. School starts in 1 hour. I expect you to be in the kitchen for breakfast in 20 minutes. Put Buddy back now.

The Lord has spoken, Fanny. Put me back.

This entry was posted in Cheri's Hamster Family, My fiction and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to First Hamster Point of View

1. Mr. Crotchety says:

That is not a picture of a hamster. This is a hamster .

Where do you find these things?
    That was a patient little popcorn eating spamster.

I am at work. Thanks for helping the afternoon move along.

3. Pingback: First Hamster Point of View: Infancy « Notes from Around the Block

A moving piece, this.

Thank you so much. These little hamster stories are some of my favorites. By the way, have you read The Bee? My doctor told me about this story today…from the perspective of a bee..first person. She also suggested Wolf Hall (sp?). What are you reading now, Christopher?

• Christopher says:

No, I haven’t read “The Bee”.

I have, though, read “Wolf Hall”, that I don’t particularly recommend because the style makes it unusually difficult to read. This appears to have been done intentionally.

It’s not about a wolf called Hall, or even about a German (or Austrian) called Wolfgang Hall, but a (an?) historical novel set in the England of Henry the Eighth. “Wolf Hall” in the novel is the family estate of an aristocratic family.

Regarding stories written through the viewpoints of animals, they appeal to me because animals are the ultimate outsiders in any human society, and I’ve always been an outsider myself, notwithstanding that I’m allegedly a human.

You asked what I’m reading now. I’m currently reading “Masters of Sex”, a biography of the famed sex researchers William Masters and Virginia Johnson. It’s no-holds-barred, and very compellingly written. I’m finding it the best read I’ve had in a long, long time. I do recommend it to you.

Thank you for your candid thoughts. I perused both book titles today (even though I am behind in my reading) and can’t say I was persuaded to download either The Bees or Wolf Hall. What is quite a co-incidence is that I asked my doctor on Monday what she was reading. Guess what? Masters of Sex.
          When I finish The Plague, The Stranger, and the Myth of Sisyphus, I will read Masters of Sex. After all, I’m still interesting in that topic!